Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing 1 server with multiple users

Options
  • 09-06-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I have setup a server with its own mouse and keyboard in a room where most people don't have access too.

I want to setup a monitor and keyboard outside of this room so people can log onto the server from here.

Do anyone know what is a good solution for this. I guess its kinda like the oposite to a kvm switch.

Here is one solution I found which might work. Just wondering do you know of any better ones, or has anyone tried using one of these boxes ?

http://www.sharemypc.eu/l_series.shtml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

www.logmein.com would work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

It would with a 2nd pc, but don't want a 2nd pc, just another monitor, keyboard and mouse in a different room.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

if i give my friend access to my pc and share files on it using logmein.com is he using my ip address or his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

this is nice software, will still need a basic old pc to run it on though, can do remote desktop from the boot cd or usb stick or boot from the network
    http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/ThIndex

or boot damn small linux and run rdesktop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

@ Terrlock ... I think what you want is a KVM Extender.

These are devices that will allow you control a server, without the requirement of a terminal PC.

I know dabs.ie carry them, and so do komplett.

They can cost a bit ... in the region of 200/300 euro, even for the small devices. So you might find it cheaper to use an old, throwaway PC and install OpenVNC or some other remote control software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

cool might give that a go, got an old pc at work ill give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If you have a dual-head graphics card or you fit a second graphics card, you can just hook up an additional mouse, keyboard, and display with the desktop cloned (rather than extended) and both "stations" will work simultaneously. As you have only one PS/2 mouse port and one PS/2 keyboard port, at least one of the mice and one of the keyboards will need to be USB. Also, there are maximum length limits for monitor cables and USB cables that you'll need to adhere to if you are planning to use cable extenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

What about just a basic thin client with VNC installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

What about remote desktop or terminal services.. all out of the box software

Advertisement