Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping Setanta

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Have many people dropped their Setanta Sat sub for the summer? Is there any hassle doing it? I got Setanta for the Premier League football and also watch some Scottish footie on it but almost nothing else. I realised the other day I hadn't watch any of their channels in weeks but am still paying €19 a month. But I probably have already paid for June so will only be cancelling for July so maybe not worth the hassle. Also is their a "re-connecton fee"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

I rang up to cancel mine a couple of weeks ago and they gave me half price for 6 months so thats 10 euro a month until November
    And yes there is a 10 euro re-connection fee if you do cancel it altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Have many people dropped their Setanta Sat sub for the summer? Is there any hassle doing it? I got Setanta for the Premier League football and also watch some Scottish footie on it but almost nothing else. I realised the other day I hadn't watch any of their channels in weeks but am still paying €19 a month. But I probably have already paid for June so will only be cancelling for July so maybe not worth the hassle. Also is their a "re-connecton fee"?
    I rang up to cancel after the football season finished and they gave me the package for 7.99 a month untill November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I rang up 3 times, got cut off all 3. I used the web form, but the mail bounced saying it wouldn't be delivered. It was, but I've heard nothing back. They've written notice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Got the package for 9.99 for 3 months, so it seems that they are offering various types of deals if you decide to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kiltinator

Don't fancy the hassle of dealing with some poor sod at a call centre and I think they need written notice anyway, so does anyone know where to write to cancel?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Im paying 19.99 pm,
    I only watch racing uk,
    If I ring to cancel will they knock mine down to 9.99 for a few months??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Kiltinator wrote: »
    Don't fancy the hassle of dealing with some poor sod at a call centre and I think they need written notice anyway, so does anyone know where to write to cancel?

Thanks!

Written notice? Like **** they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

i wrote to them to cancel on the 27th of may,
    my subscription is paid on the 5th of the month.
    they need 30 days notice so i had to pay the 6th of june.
    next thing they took the money out for the 6th of july,
    i rang about it and was asked to write for a refund.
    i wrote again and got a call 2 days later,
    saying that even tho they got my letter on the 29th of may it took them 10 days to "process" it (apparently they say allow 28 days for "processing" even though i was never told that and cant fint it in the T&C) so it was processed on the 9th of june, and my 30 days notice only kicked in then, so thats why i had to pay for the 9th of july.
    I think its scandalous in this day and age that a company will let you subscribe over the phone and make you unsubscribe/request refund in writing and take 28 days to process a cancelation request but only take 2 days to refuse a refund.

I was going to sign up again for the premiership in august but to hell with setanta now. sky let me cancel on the spot and will let me resubscribe on the spot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

TheTubes wrote: »
    i wrote to them to cancel on the 27th of may,
    my subscription is paid on the 5th of the month.
    they need 30 days notice so i had to pay the 6th of june.
    next thing they took the money out for the 6th of july,
    i rang about it and was asked to write for a refund.
    i wrote again and got a call 2 days later,
    saying that even tho they got my letter on the 29th of may it took them 10 days to "process" it (apparently they say allow 28 days for "processing" even though i was never told that and cant fint it in the T&C) so it was processed on the 9th of june, and my 30 days notice only kicked in then, so thats why i had to pay for the 9th of july.
    I think its scandalous in this day and age that a company will let you subscribe over the phone and make you unsubscribe/request refund in writing and take 28 days to process a cancelation request but only take 2 days to refuse a refund.

I was going to sign up again for the premiership in august but to hell with setanta now. sky let me cancel on the spot and will let me resubscribe on the spot too.

I cancel my debit on the same day I send the cancellation letter and settle the outstanding amount by cheque provided I'm in agreement with them on whats owing that way they cant keep taking payments from your account and puts you more in control.

That is the best way of going about it. Cancel the direct debit after you notify them. They can't take your money then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I made the mistake of giving them my credit card details :mad:
    I'm going to write to them again, there is no way they can justify taking 2 months payment after they recieved the notice of cancelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭albob

I was very interested in your problem TheTubes. had something somewhat similar happen myself....even though I was not told that I needed to write in to cancel. My story....
    1) Got Setanta in March for a specific match. Wanted to cancel straight away but was told that I could not cancel in 1st 30 days. Told that I could not cancel before April 28th. This meant that I had to get at least 2 months due to their 30 days cancellation notice requirement also!
    2) Rang on April 29th. Was told that I had missed my "window" of the 28th so had to pay at end of May also (which would cover most of June).
    3) End of May came. Money taken off me, but channels also cancelled. Had to ring up saying that I had paid for June so I should have my channels. Channels switched back on for June.
    4) Account charged again at end of June. Rang saying that end of May should have been last payment. Call centre person told me to write for refund which I "might" get.
    Been about 6 weeks now. Got call about 2 days after sending letter just saying they had got it. Nothing since. Call centre no help. Will try what you did and write again.

If I ever do cancel I will call and give my notice and then cancel the direct debit when the month is up. I keep reading too many horror stories.

Advertisement