Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 new kittens

Options
  • 09-06-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

After a long wait, Myself and the bf have finally adopted 2 long-haired kittens and I'm so excited. I am new to cats as I have always had dogs so I'm just looking for general information and things I should know.

I am going to buy a book and read up on them but just wanted to know if anyone from here has advice. One kitten (Meg) is really hyper and mischevious and lets you rub her and her sister (Nala) is so shy that she can't come out from behind the sofa. We only have them since yesterday so I know it will take her time to get used to us.

Has anyone any helpful advise on looking after 2 very cute fluffy adorable kittens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

http://www.kittenadoption.org/care.htm

Have a look at the above site.

I'd say the main point is to make sure they get their worm and parasite treatments - kittens can be born with worms.

If they are going to be outside, they will need to be vaccinated, and at 4 - 6 months get them neutered.

Make sure your home is kitten safe - put away the poisons! :D Also some houseplants are poisonous - check online for a list.

I'm sure they'll be fine. Give them time to settle in, and few toys to chase, and they'll be feeling at home very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Congrats on the new kittens.
    A few points if i may.
    The most important thing at the moment is not to let them outside at all for the next three weeks or they will run away and get lost. Its common for people to think that this is cruel but it will take them about that time to get used to yer voices and therefore they should not run away and get lost when you first take them out.
    Dont force the timid one to do anything that distresses it. Let it come out of hiding at its own pace.The piece of string trick works wonders at getting a timid kitten to come out of hiding. peace and quiet will help also.
    Lastly, yes, with female kittens when they reach 5 months it is time to get them neutered so that two cats is the number you stay at.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

Thanks for the advice :D i think we were quite nervous when we first got them because we didn't have the experience. They don't seem to understand what the scratching post is which I hope they realise soon as I won't have any curtains left! I have put catnip on it and dangled the little ball that's on it but they prefer to torment each other instead.

We have been feeding them the dry food as that it what they have always been fed but I have read that the canned food is also good for them. Any advice on feeding? The timid one Nala has come out a bit more but she takes her moods, some times looks at me like I'm an alien but she is so gorgeous! I'm smitten

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I taught my kitties about the scratching post by scratching at it with my nails myself! :D They were fascinated and eventually had a go themselves. When they were tiny they used to shimmy up it - they are too big and fat for that now!

My vet told me that dry food was best as it is better for their teeth - keeps them strong and clean. That said I do treat them with a little bit of canned/pouch food sometimes as they get bored of the dry stuff. Don't change their food around too much though as it can cause upset tummys - as I discovered! Maybe stick with what they are used to for a couple of months until they are well settled in.

Give the shy one plenty of time - my Pugs wouldn't come near me for days and days! I just left him doing his thing. Then all of a sudden one day he crawled into my lap - now I can't get him away from me - especially at 5am when he decides its his favourite time for a cuddle and pokes me with his paw for attention!!

Its really exciting to have new kittens! I'm jealous of all the fun you will be having with them!

I might leave the tinned food for a while then. There toilet is smelly enough as it is without upset tummies! We have an open cat litter tray at the mo so I think that's the reason we can smell so much. Hoping when we buy a covered one with a flap at the weekend that it might keep in some of the smell.

Looks like I will have to scratch the post to see if they might catch on, hope nobody sees me :D We're bringing them for their injections at the weekend and they got half a tablet each for worming yesterday. Is there anything else I am missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

CAT24 wrote: »
    There toilet is smelly enough as it is without upset tummies!

You can get a powder to sprinkly over the litter tray to eliminate the odour. They sell it in Tesco's in Lucan so if you go to your nearest Tesco's store you should be able to get some. It's really good!

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=46&pf_id=1261

Thanks AntiVirus, I defintely need something like that. Going to buy a new litter tray that is covered aswell because their litter is pretty much all over the floor. Thinking that we may need some sort of a mat that they clean their feet on because they are scraping them off everything when the come out of the loo.

Nala is starting to come out a bit more now but still very nervous and it can get quite frustrating. I suppose I have to remember that they are not dogs and will more then likely not come when their called. Thanks for all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

IF you do choose to let them outdoors in stead of keeping them as safe indoor cats please dont let them out until they are neutered. They are less likely to roam once they are fixed.
    Get them neutered as early as possible as girls can get pregnant from a young age, i think from about 4 months.
    Please consider keeping them as indoor cats, safe and warm.

Hi TheMadHouse, we are keeping them as in-door cats for definite. Could not live with the worry of letting them out. The only problem I'm having is I can't open my patio door on a really hot day and it's stiffling. They run straight for the door and I have to keep my eye on them all the time. Is there any way of training them to not go out or put something up to block it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

AntiVirus wrote: »
    You can get a powder to sprinkly over the litter tray to eliminate the odour. They sell it in Tesco's in Lucan so if you go to your nearest Tesco's store you should be able to get some. It's really good!

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=46&pf_id=1261

Try buying CATSAN litter,it is completly odour free,and l would advise having 2 litter trays as they can get very fussy over having to share when they get older.Most supermarkets sell "catsan".
    (Enjoy the mad little things) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Re catnip, kittens don't take any notice of catnip. Its a genetic thing, with some cats going nuts for it when they are a good bit older and others not bothering at all.
    Re liquids, its best not to give kittens and cats cows milk as it may cause them to scour. Some people give the whiskas catmilk that can be bought in the supermarkets but personally water is the best. My cats have a love of rain water instead of tap water.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Re the catsan. There are 2 types of catsan, clumping and non clumping. I would not recommend clumping litter for kittens, except for any type that specifies being flushable. Any of the clay clumping ones could clump in their tummy if they eat it, which kittens do sometimes.

I use the Worlds Best Cat Litter which I find great.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Re the catsan. There are 2 types of catsan, clumping and non clumping. I would not recommend clumping litter for kittens, except for any type that specifies being flushable. Any of the clay clumping ones could clump in their tummy if they eat it, which kittens do sometimes.

I use the Worlds Best Cat Litter which I find great.

Yes you are right,(sorry) was thinking in the here and now(as regards to my 2 indoor cats) for the slightly older cat l find Catsan "Clumping" great as there is far less waste, and you only get rid of "The Clump" thats left after the cat is finished.
    Thanks for picking me up on that.........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Any pics CAT24? I so want to get a kitten but OH is putting the foot down.:rolleyes:

I haven't a clue how to attach pics ncmc but will try tonight. They look huge in the photo's but are actually really small. Going to the pet shop tonight to buy nice things for them.

Thanks for the advice on cat litter. Will definitely look into that. I have tried spraying catnip on their scratch post to see if it might entice them to use it but doesn't have any effect yet they love the catnip thats its their mouse toy, go crazy for it.

Should I get them a harness so we can let them go out the back with us or will it just give them the taste for the outdoors and cry at the pation door then? Anyone elses kittens able to jump about 10 feet from a sofa on to the kitchen counter? Can't believe some of the things they can do :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

CAT24 wrote: »
    I haven't a clue how to attach pics ncmc but will try tonight. They look huge in the photo's but are actually really small. Going to the pet shop tonight to buy nice things for them.

Thanks for the advice on cat litter. Will definitely look into that. I have tried spraying catnip on their scratch post to see if it might entice them to use it but doesn't have any effect yet they love the catnip thats its their mouse toy, go crazy for it.

Should I get them a harness so we can let them go out the back with us or will it just give them the taste for the outdoors and cry at the pation door then? Anyone elses kittens able to jump about 10 feet from a sofa on to the kitchen counter? Can't believe some of the things they can do :eek:

Ah the wee cuties, I haven't a clue how to attach pics or links either, gonna really have to learn!

I think they would be ok out the back with you for a while. I had a cat a few years ago and he used to be terrified of grass when he was a kitten! If you put him on the lawn, he would spring on his tippy toes back on to tarmac, trying to touch as little grass as possible!

Advertisement