Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G/F Rights

Options
  • 09-06-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend of mine is buying a house soon and his girlfriend of a few years may eventually be moving in. I've heard some scary stories lately that there's some law now that after a certain amount of time the girlfriend would have certain rights to some of the house if the relationship ended even though it wouldn't be her house. They are always on and off but I didn't want to say anything to him about it cause I really don't know the facts.
    I'm also a little interested myself as I'll be buying a house in a few months and although I don't have a girlfriend a law like that would put me off ever letting someone move in. Maybe that's selfish but there's enough sacrifice in buying a house.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My understanding is that if she contributes to the mortgage then she may have some legal claim.

Of course, it'll always come down to the relationship and how it breaks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

AFAIK, if a partner of a home owner lives in the home and contributes equally to the payment of the mortgage then the partner would have a claim up to the amount of the contributions paid after living in the property for two years.

I know of some cases where friends bf's own the apartment and the gf pays towards a 'holiday' fund or something like that rather than paying half the mortgage.

Advertisement