Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the swallows gone?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Seriously there is very very few around this year. I live out in the countryside and there is normally loads flying around my house. I haven't seen any this year. Whats going on:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I've actually never seen as many down in Waterford.

Maybe either yourself or myself are just experiencing a local phenomenon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I've also noticed a general drop in the insect population around here so maybe that has something to do with it. Although the amount of bats here is unreal so they seem to be doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

I reckon there has been a drop this year alright. Also seems to be less housemartins but noticed more swifts about though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Anyone got a clue as to the drop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No drop around here. Have you actual counts for this time in previous years for comparison? I have and we can see no significant difference this year over the previous 10 year average at the start of June.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

As swallows and martins are from the same family their population are affected in similar ways and by similar causes.
    Their populations are very much affected by weather, climate and pollution and have been in a big decline since about the 60s-70s in some cases by drops of up to 40%.

Changes to the climate are known to have hit them very hard as the need mud to build nests, their quite susceptible to dehydration, they need food which is also greatly affected by climate and the need a cool climate to come to and raise a successful broods, just last year during the the very hot spell two nests of nestling's died in a shed here.

But their numbers can also vary greatly from year to year, there could be several reasons for this such as the weather or food supplies last year here or the weather and climate in the area of Africa that they migrated to.

So I guess just hope that this was a bad year a there'll be more next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

I live in South County Carlow and we've loads of swallows this year. Believe it or not, they arrived at our house on the 23rd April this year - exactly the same date as the previous year!
    I like them but they tend to want to nest under a canopy above our front door. Every time we open the door they're swooping and getting very agitated.

Same thing every year. Nothing will deter them, or so I thought. We've tried everything from tinfoil to plastic bags. A local farmer, hearing of our plight, called into us over the weekend with a dead magpie in his hand (not sure how it met it's maker so didn't ask any questions) We tied the poor magpie up and extended his wings. The swallows went mental. Within minutes there were about ten swallows around the door checking it out. Think it freaked them out sufficiently as there's no sign of them today. Either that or they're gone to get reinforcements.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

swallow population pretty normal in these parts...They'd nearly take the head off ya when you open a shed door:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heouguere

I live in SW France. For 20 years we have always had many nests full of young.
    This year, for the first time, I have not seen a single swallow! Not one. The nests in the barn have not been visited. I have never seen this before. Something has happened.
    I miss the little so and so's.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Steady number of them here on the Louth coast all season and the from september/october a serious increase of numbers before they head off.
    Their slowly moving on now and iv not seen any since last week, so id say its fairwell until April.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heouguere

Hello skipz,
    Thanks! That's a relief, at least they are somewhere. Must just be an anomaly I suppose.
    I can't tell you how much I have missed the chattering when I go into the barn, or seeing the young when they take their first experimental flights.
    I hope they come back next year.
    Thanks and kind regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Yeah I live in the south Louth area and numbers are definately up on last year. No shortage of House Martins either plus I seen good numbers of Sand martins aswell.

Advertisement