Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange laptop boot problem

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭

I have an old Compaq Armada PIII laptop which previously ran WinXP but no longer has a working cd-rom or floppy drive. I've been trying unsuccessfully to install a clean OS onto the HD.

I took the HD out of the laptop, and using a 2.5" ide adaptor I intially tried to install WinXP from a boot CD. This works fine on the desktop and the installation will proceed to completion so the drive appears to be fine.

But when I put the HD into the laptop, it just powers on and hangs. This happens regardless if I transfer the HD just after the files have been copied from the CD (just before the first reboot) or if I leave the installation go to completion on the desktop. The laptop hangs using either FAT or NTFS formatting.

So I tried formating the 2GB partition using a DOS boot cdrom, and placing the HD in the laptop again, I can get the C: prompt. With the XP installation files on the second partition, I can get the laptop to start installation OK, it copies all the files from the I386 folder and again at the first reboot, the laptop just hangs. I subsequently tried a similar approach with Win 2k and Win 98 and the same thing happens - it looks to be copying the files no problem, but after the first reboot, the laptop hangs.

The annoying thing is, if I take the HD out of the laptop at this point, and put it into the desktop, the Win XP, 2k or 98 installation will continue fine.

I also tried smaller first partitions of 500MB and 100MB and the same thing happens.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

when you install the os from your pc it is setting it up to work on the pc not the laptop there are different drivers. if i was you i would format the laptop hdd and copy the system files to the hdd and then i386 folder to the hdd so it will boot to the command line and then install xp from the i386 folder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Exactly... you can not install an os on one machine and then have it work on another machine that is a different spec. This used to work with 95/98 as it would just pick up all the drivers again and install them but not on win2k/xp.

However Pdevo i think you did not read his post as he did clearly say he has done what you suggested.

Zaphod i hate to say it but it is very likely you have a controller issue on your old laptop. Is there any reason you are looking to resurrect this? People give laptops away for free on jumbletown that are in better working order than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Up and running. The solution was to install DOS files onto HD via the desktop, transfer the HD to the laptop and then to reformat the C: partition in the laptop itself. Installation was a breeze after that.

[edit] The reason for presisting with the laptop is that it has a serial port - very useful for upgrading firmware in various receivers. USB-to-serial dongles with newer laptops don't work particularly well.

Advertisement