Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda pay

Options
  • 08-06-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

thinking of joining gards and cant find any concrete inforabout garda pay!

first 6 months in templemore all food and accom is paid for and the mon is pretty rubbish !!!!

but could someone please provide me with details how what it starts off as and how it increases each year?

much appreciated

thanx
    STEVE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Check out the GRA web site ... all scales are on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

whats the link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

if you want to join the garda for money, i think you might have chose the wrong job :p

not joining for themoney but need money to survive!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Paolo5

Your very lazy!

http://www.gra.cc/salary_scales.shtml

Google is a web site you should look at too.

• Advertisement

ah go way outa that !!! ill be the next columbo

steo123 wrote: »
    ah go way outa that !!! ill be the next columbo

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

not joining for themoney but need money to survive!!!
    ye may need money to survive but you could also do with using some effort and having some savvy to be a guard to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thecaptain

Yeah, like people really joins the gards for the good of the community????????

Money, power and arrogance.

dont know were people keep getting this money idea, dublin bus are paid more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

thecaptain wrote: »

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ill be taking a big pay cut to join

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mc-panda

It's not about the money. Simple as.

I've spent the last five years in college at an average expense of about E25,000 per year (accomodation, fees, living, etc.). I'm currently earning a basic of over E40,000. So not only will my (parents') financial investment in my education be going (somewhat) to waste, but I'll be also taking a significant paycut in the longrun, as senior figures and consultants in my line of work can earn upwards of E90k. I'm aware of the salaries for top brass in the Gardai, but let's face it...not everyone makes it there.

There goes the money argument for my application.

Then again, the trade off needs to be weighted properly. Everyday seems to present a good challenge for a Garda. You never know what's going to happen. And even though I'm sure paperwork levels are rife, you're never going to be sitting on your ass for the length of time you would in other jobs. The opportunities to move into different areas are constant and almost infinite from what I can see.

Arrogance is a stupid argument. I've actually never met a Garda who didn't treat me with respect and courtesy. Then again, I've always treated them the same way. You get what you give.

As for power. Yes, there is a certain bit. But go to any court case and watch the terrible treatment a Garda gets when he takes the stand and you'll see just how under valued they really are by the criminal justice system. You'll wonder who's on trial. So power doesn't really wash as an argument either.

In fairness, it would be more accurate to state that people join the Gardai to be assaulted, to notify families of the deaths of loved ones, to search for body parts in the aftermath of terrible road accidents, to be chewed up and spit out by defense barristers or to go up head-on and unarmed against well organised, highly funded criminals equipped with better arms and moral vacuums for a low basic pay and no thanks.

They're not the reasons I've applied either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Don't feed the troll lads.

ojewriej wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll lads.

been quiet here lately might as well:p

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    been quiet here lately might as well:p

lol, true enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Banned for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    dont know were people keep getting this money idea, dublin bus are paid more.

Worth mentioning that plenty of essential jobs have rubbish pay...

Worth mentioning that plenty of essential jobs have rubbish pay...

True that.

Wanting to learn about the financial rewards of joining AGS is not criminal lads and shouldn't be attacked in any manner - however civilised. Neither does it tell you anything about that guy's intentions to join or ability to perform within the role. In fact, to believe that it informs you otherwise is plain absurd.

Some of us have finacial obligations already. We'd like to know that these can be met if or when we join. This is an issue of paramount importance for those with aspirations. I call bad form on telling that guy it's not a job for him because he asked about the salary. How would anybody go about making such an inference?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

thinking of joining gards and cant find any concrete inforabout garda pay!

first 6 months in templemore all food and accom is paid for and the mon is pretty rubbish !!!!

but could someone please provide me with details how what it starts off as and how it increases each year?

much appreciated

thanx
    STEVE

Steve take a look at http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml ... It lists the pay from attestation to 17years service. Hope that answers your question

• Advertisement

mc-panda wrote: »
    I call bad form on telling that guy it's not a job for him because he asked about the salary. How would anybody go about making such an inference?

No one had a problem with OP for asking the question, DrMason was just messing with him, and the question was answered quite promptly.

Real flak was directed at this troll:

And I think it was deserved.

There was a post that appeared to be criticising the question being asked. It was removed. I'd remove mine too...if I knew how.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Haz33

Ah Captain...The small mindedness of it all.
    money, power and arrogance.
    These are the reasons stopping people from joining.
    You will get more money doing just about anything else,
    arrogance is something you definately wont get away with being in the public eye,
    and lets face it every scumbag on the street seems to have more power than the gardai otherwise they would be locked up.
    I think you are confusing us with solicitors and barristers? Does anyone agree!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Haz33 wrote: »
    arrogance is something you definately wont get away with being in the public eye,
    and lets face it every scumbag on the street seems to have more power than the gardai otherwise they would be locked up.

I banned him Haz. He can't read your reply. He was only trolling. Don't feed him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A copper who takes his/her job seriously is hardly paid enough... . Having said a copper who takes his/her job seriously isn't on bad money either and as compensation for potential higher pay in the private sector there's practically guaranteed job security and a very decent pension at the end of the line. You'll never be rich but you're a long way away from destitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Whatever it is , it aint ENOUGH !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Haz33 wrote: »

im not a guard (have relations who are) but i'd never do it.. everyone kinda is against ye, and gettin shot at probably isn't that nice or stabbed or not being able to just knock people out when they are outta line (not that i'd condone beating scumbags;))

what we need is more mafia! to just exterminate all the bad people! yay! (half joking about that) :)
    Ah no, we all know the other side appear better paid, more "work hazards" and "competition"...

Guards - ye dont have it easy. fair play to ye for doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

Does anyone know if you can carry service from the defence forces to the garda. I have 6 years in the Navy and want to know if this service will carry in to Gardai for me.

Thanks

NTC wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can carry service from the defence forces to the garda. I have 6 years in the Navy and want to know if this service will carry in to Gardai for me.

Thanks

Hq id say would be your best bet for that answer , DO you mean with regards to pay scaling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

NTC wrote: »

Thanks

The 6 years will count towards your pension, so you would only have to serve 24 years to qualify for the pension.

also lads and lassies, just in case ye don't know the rate for phase 1 to 3 is €197.35 pw with a €120.75 rent sub in phase 2.

Advertisement