Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought conifers were hardy?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

ok just aquired a back garden. long story short i planted a few things. i have one fatality due to a breakage. everything blooming and growing . but i have 5 conifers. the tips were light yellow i though this was new growth but this has not turned brown. is there anything they need? ( i water them when it does not rain, they getting too much water is is that possible)

also i have potted flowers that seem to love the miracle grow. is there anything that does not like miracle gro for example previous; mentioned conifers?

also i would like to know about a colourful plant that will give good coverage (cover up those crappy wooden fence panels) that will still have colour in the winter.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have two topiary conifers in pots that I've had for a few years. Both died recently, I haven't removed them yet, I'm hoping they'll suddenly spring back into life, I loved them. :(

If you have alot of room, try bamboo to hide your panels, looks good in winter, but its takes alot of raking up leaves at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ok i have bought a hose and watered them every night if it does not rain. the tips are going a very bright yellow but the rest of the tree is a deep green. are these tips going to go brown or will i continue what i am doing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Martron wrote: »
    ok i have bought a hose and watered them every night if it does not rain. the tips are going a very bright yellow but the rest of the tree is a deep green. are these tips going to go brown or will i continue what i am doing

Its weird, mine are coming back too. :eek: Is it the freaky weather or what?!

If they are green I'd say continue what your doing untill a real gardener logs on and tells you different!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭blackbox

Just to clarify the terminology...

In gardening terms, "hardy" usually means that a plant can withstand frost, rather than that it is tough (unkillable!)

There are varieties of conifers that are not frost hardy, but these are (obviously) not common in Ireland.

Advertisement