Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Leaving Cert Diary

Options
  • 08-06-2008 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok, since many people aren't happy with the current diaries around, why not make your own? I think it's good because of the outrage over maths paper 1, it'll be interesting to see how people treat the next week.

I have nothing interesting to say, maybe you all will!

Seems people think I want to be in the Irish Times. No thanks. I think it'd be more interesing that hearing about SATC and people doing the same exams (Bio/Art/History) that I do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,268 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trying hard to Feature in The Irish Times I see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Well it's better having a diary from a normal student than students who are in leeson street with intensive studying techniques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

its nice to moan about how badly we're getting on, it makes me feel better.. (a bit)

did 2hours biology this am, then took a long break of 3hours, i've been doing maths papers since about 3pm, im dead worried about maths tomorrow, just realising how hard paper 2 is (H) and not doing anything for irish (O).. but freaking out about maths!!! i havent been able to do a single whole question, like all parts of it. anyone else having similar trouble?

its nice to moan about how badly we're getting on, it makes me feel better.. (a bit)

did 2hours biology this am, then took a long break of 3hours, i've been doing maths papers since about 3pm, im dead worried about maths tomorrow, just realising how hard paper 2 is (H) and not doing anything for irish (O).. but freaking out about maths!!! i havent been able to do a single whole question, like all parts of it. anyone else having similar trouble?

same troublebut i have to do a bit for irish tommorow(story) then i think ill be set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Knuffel

Well it's better having a diary from a normal student than students who are in leeson street with intensive studying techniques

Hey, as a Leeson Street student who is freaking out/procrastinating i resent that. ;)

Also i have a suspicion that Times diary girl doesn't exist as I've never seen her in the Institute.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did basically nothing yesterday and Friday so I've been working all today. I had it all planned out, then my mum goes "let's go for a half an hour walk", I go grand I was gonna take a 30 minute break anyway... an hour and a half later we come back and I'm exhausted. Bleedin' Killiney Hill.

Anyway, Maths seems to hate me today and I can't get any circle questions right. For the first time ever I'm considering relying on the probability to give me my fifth question. Eww. Paper better be alright tomorrow. Paper 1 went great and I want to milk maths for all the points I can get. Sorry, maths. If only there was more trig and less stupid simultaneous equations. God I hate the circle. Longest, messiest question ever.

Irish paper 1... well what can you do. I have about 6 pages of vocabulary to just learn off, then I'm praying a nice essay will come up. The Education System would suit me nicely, get a bit of ranting in. Otherwise I've been trying to read as much as I can, though I'm not too worried about the léamhthuiscint, every bit helps. Beo.ie is a good source, though I realised I've barely touched Fiúntas 1 all year and it's full of paper 1 stuff...
    The tape is actually my best bit of Irish (got 96 in the mocks), so I'm not too worried about that. Going to take a break now and game a bit before I go mad, so I'll listen to radio na gaeltacht while I do it. Sorted. : p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Haven't done much today. Hopefully should do well in Maths tomorrow. Im confident of my Maths abilities and am hoping for an A.

Expemt from Irish, so I have just one exam for the next two days, anf then I have French/History on Wednesday, so studying for those will be intense over the next two days. Then I have a rest until Physics on Monday, and I finish off with Economics, which is one of the easier subjects on the course.

Of the exams so far, English Paper 1 was handy enough, my essay went very well, and the comprehension was hopefully even better. I did quite poorly in the B Question, bringing my guess at a grade down to about... 75/80? Paper 2 was slightly worse, I dont feel I answered the Donne poetry question very well, my Crucible question was poor. I think my Comparative answer was good though, and Unseen Poetry is the closest i could get to full marks. Hoping for 55 in that paper. So Im looking at 65/70% in English which is satisfactory. Maths, like I said, Im hoping for an A1. Hopefully should be heading into week two with 130 points (depending on Maths II). Feeling confident.

Knuffel wrote: »
    Hey, as a Leeson Street student who is freaking out/procrastinating i resent that. ;)

Also i have a suspicion that Times diary girl doesn't exist as I've never seen her in the Institute.....:p

Sorry about that but you must know that these papers are elitist and are on focusing on people who want to be doctors(which is not the common trend among students btw).It is giving an unrealistic view of the students day to day feelings and thoughts about exams which are summed up into a diary.If you want to get the real views of students they shouldn't be picking the best student from the best schools of the country.They should pick people from humble towns areas where the grades are average. Again sorry bout making the a common misconception and i hope you do well tommorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Anyway, Maths seems to hate me today and I can't get any circle questions right. For the first time ever I'm considering relying on the probability to give me my fifth question. Eww. Paper better be alright tomorrow. Paper 1 went great and I want to milk maths for all the points I can get. Sorry, maths. If only there was more trig and less stupid simultaneous equations. God I hate the circle. Longest, messiest question ever.

... I dunno, the line is definitelyjust as long and messy, and vectors is a close bronze.

Probablility is far too easy to lose marks in, you can know everything on it, but at the end of the day you have to translate english into maths...

I'm just starting with the trig questions and the further calculus, and I'll make decent attempts from there... God I hope the perp. distance proof comes up, it's all I've learnt today...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I did basically nothing yesterday and Friday so I've been working all today. I had it all planned out, then my mum goes "let's go for a half an hour walk", I go grand I was gonna take a 30 minute break anyway... an hour and a half later we come back and I'm exhausted. Bleedin' Killiney Hill.

Irish paper 1... well what can you do. I have about 6 pages of vocabulary to just learn off, then I'm praying a nice essay will come up. The Education System would suit me nicely, get a bit of ranting in. Otherwise I've been trying to read as much as I can, though I'm not too worried about the léamhthuiscint, every bit helps. Beo.ie is a good source, though I realised I've barely touched Fiúntas 1 all year and it's full of paper 1 stuff...
    The tape is actually my best bit of Irish (got 96 in the mocks), so I'm not too worried about that. Going to take a break now and game a bit before I go mad, so I'll listen to radio na gaeltacht while I do it. Sorted. : p

I actually like the circle. Its vertors that get me, some Qs on it are handy or rock hard. Also sometimes Ive problems getting my head around the probability questions. Anyway I hope its a nice paper 2moro and it will put me in a good mood for Irish(H)

• Advertisement

The line is also not great, but it's not as bad. It's just the damn x^2 in the circle, so you have to square things and quadratic equations and big mess. And then you have to find g and f and c... bleh.

It's the translating english into maths that's tricky. I can translate diagrams into maths alright, but english can be tricky sometimes.

I'm guessing I'll do trig x2, vectors, line, 1 probability. It depends how it goes though. If the circle looks handy I'll do it, but it's stressing me out today. So many circles, so little time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Absolutely bricking it about Maths. I don't even NEED maths for college, it's just a personal issue of not failing a L.C examination. I consider myself quite smart across the board, but maths is a thorn in my side. Seeing as I think I scored roughly 55% on paper one, and I gain the extra 5% of what you DONT pick up due to being in a Gaelscoil, I would need to do quite dire tomorrow not to pick up whatever would see me home safe....

When I think that a FOURTH of the marks would see me home for the pass, I feel quite silly indeed. Sure it'll be alright on the night.

Being in a Gaelscoil has it's advantages, for instance with Irish Paper 1. Learning three or four nice sayings, and thats that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Been freaking out about Higher Irish since I failed English II and now need it for points. Haven't done any work for it yet though. Oh the complexities of the human mind! :confused: Am seriously, seriously going to do some essay and aural work tonight. I hope so anyway. Kind of annoyed about only having 90 minutes between Maths and Irish.

Of course Monday is nothing compared to the 3 hour 20 minute mother of all LC exams on Tuesday morning: HL Irish Paper 2. I'm actually pretty well prepared for it but I'm not sure I can endure it, and it's sort of distracting me from French on Wednesday, which will bite me on the ass Tuesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Awww thats quite nice keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

i'm pretty confident for maths tomorow. I've been doing past paper questions all day and haven't got one wrong so far so i'm pretty happy. I'm doing The Circle, The Line, Trig, and the Q8 Option. I hate probability but i might give it a shot on the day.

As for Irish, I'm doing OL so i might look over a scéal or two...

im doin ordinary irish-havent done a tap but just need the pass so im gonna look over a couple of sceals agus litirs

i think i have circle line and vectors covered
    doin trig in a min

and than goin to do Q8

hopefully in bed by 2 or later (had a lie in this mornin so im fresh) up by round 8 and look over a couple of things. Then im off to face the paper .
    After tomorrow my leaving cert explodes wide open with half days and no days of exams . do irish on tuesday french wednesday nothing thursday t graphics friday then weekend physics and t graphics monday nothin that tuesday and economics wednesday.Tommorrow is the 2nd worst day of the exam for me last thursday being 1st(paper two and chemistry come on
    :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

thats not you?is it?je suis confused!:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Keeping regular updates about the LC on my blog at www.walsho.net :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

The Walsho wrote: »

Just like the talented Walsho, I've been writing on http://www.leaving-cert.net :p

• Advertisement

donmeister wrote: »
    thats not you?is it?je suis confused!:confused::rolleyes:

Hehe yes it is! What makes you say that it's not?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ShogunWarrior

Hate the f*in circle everything always goes wrong. Though comparing the DEB mocks circle question to other years I think it was far harder (all those g's, f's and c's!!)
    Anyway Paper 2 is my enemy, wish all of maths was algebra, differentiation, integration etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Hehe yes it is! What makes you say that it's not?!:confused:

whats a superstar like yourself doin on boards?!?!?LOL :D

donmeister wrote: »
    whats a superstar like yourself doin on boards?!?!?LOL :D

I'm keepin it real...Im still karla from the block!!:cool:Hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

The line is also not great, but it's not as bad. It's just the damn x^2 in the circle, so you have to square things and quadratic equations and big mess. And then you have to find g and f and c... bleh.

It's the translating english into maths that's tricky. I can translate diagrams into maths alright, but english can be tricky sometimes.

I'm guessing I'll do trig x2, vectors, line, 1 probability. It depends how it goes though. If the circle looks handy I'll do it, but it's stressing me out today. So many circles, so little time.

The Circle ain't that bad, Trig is the evil member of paper 2. It's the Hitler of the Maths world, cold, and evil. Further Calculus is Mussolini, not really evil, just short and fat.

I wish I could do Trig, it would be a huge weight off my mind.
    Been freaking out about Higher Irish since I failed English II and now need it for points. Haven't done any work for it yet though. Oh the complexities of the human mind! :confused: Am seriously, seriously going to do some essay and aural work tonight. I hope so anyway. Kind of annoyed about only having 90 minutes between Maths and Irish.

Of course Monday is nothing compared to the 3 hour 20 minute mother of all LC exams on Tuesday morning: HL Irish Paper 2. I'm actually pretty well prepared for it but I'm not sure I can endure it, and it's sort of distracting me from French on Wednesday, which will bite me on the ass Tuesday evening.

I am sure you didn't fail English Paper 2. Be positive, snort a line, it'll seem better then.

I'll do your trig if you do my circle. I'll throw in calculus for free too, if you'll do my probability.

My favourite question on all of the maths paper, except perhaps for max/min problems, is the "here is a strange arrangement of triangles in 3d space, find the height of this tree" or something. It's like a puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I must admit, I am partial to a bit of tree heightage myself, but I struggle like mad on the part a's and b's. Probability is the definition of a puzzle.

''What is the next palindromic number after 2002?''

That's what I call Maths.

How do you like Max/Min!??! Ugh, they're disgusting. I ****ing hate that option with a passion. I don't mind integration by parts, but the Volume and Areas can seriously **** right off. *****.

I'll do your probability, yeah. Difference Equations.. ooooohh yeaah.

Difference equations are boring. It's always the same one. Alright, I shouldn't complain, they're easy enough, but so repetitive...

Probability is one type of maths puzzle. I prefer the spatial types over the wordy ones, though. Probability gets confusing. I have no picture to look at.

Max/min questions are interesting in a real-world applications way. Isn't it interesting that the maximum area out of a given perimeter/whatever is x, etc.? I dunno, it's easy enough and strangely satisfying.
    Before I'd done the further calculus question I was intimidated by all the maclaurin series stuff, but it's actually pretty simple. And it's nice to get a bit of a paper 1 taste on paper 2. ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

The Walsho wrote: »

I Like It. :]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Just like the talented Walsho, I've been writing on http://www.leaving-cert.net :p

Like This One Too. :]

Advertisement