Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracer Rounds

Options
  • 08-06-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any Irish retailers that sell bb's in colours other then white and black?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Tracer rounds wouldn't just be tinted like the black or green camo-ammo, they're UV reactive and need a tracer unit to charge them before they leave the barrel. Before they're charged they have a very light green or orange colour. Haven't seen any Irish retailers doing tracer ammo though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Didn't Derek in MIA get tracer rounds in for the first night game?

Might still have some or be able to get you more

I thought he sold out of those? Though he may well be able to get them back in. Worth a look alright.

Oohh, they're more common than I thought.

<Runs off to find TM V2 Tracer for sale>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Gyle

after trying both the m4 tracer mag and the tm tracer unit i found some pros and cons the main ones are. the tracer unit seems to make the bb glow better but gives off a visible muzzle flash(cool but gives you away). the mag makes the bb glow fine with no muzzle flash. the mag also powers up all the time it's engaged running down the battery the tracer unit just flashes the bb saving your battery.anyone try any of these???

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

Have them both. Personally, I would prefer the TM Tracer than the G&P Mag. Reason is that the Tracer Mag can only hold something like 120 rounds and limited to the M4s, but with the TM Tracer, you can use whatever type of mags(or aegs). Imagine M249 with the 3,000 round box full of tracer BBs........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

also, dont you think that the stream of green/orange bb's flying through the air will give you away sooner then the little blip of light that comes out of the silencer?

Do M249's have 14ccw ends?

The main problem with that is the reaction time of the tracer unit relative to the rate of fire of the rifle. I don't know exactly how quickly it can react once the bb triggers the light gate but I'd assume it has an upper threshold by the nature of the timing circuit it uses. Say, for example, that threshold is 15 rps and your aeg is doing 30 rps, half of the rounds won't have been charged by the UV light so you're only getting half the tracer.
    I believe the magazines suffer from the same issue as the led charges the top few bbs in the feeder channel of the mag.

The big advantage to the tracer unit is the cost. 80 bucks will get you a unit you can use your existing collection of magazines with, regardless of rifle type. With the tracer mags, you need to get one to replace each mid cap you have and three to replace a high cap. At 25 bucks each, that's not a cheap option if you're trigger happy.

if your aeg is shooting fast enough, it could end up charging 2 or 3 BB's with each flash though.

• Advertisement

Depends on how long the flash is though. It is possible, but depending on how long that flash stays lit, you'd need to have the rounds coming through at a serious pace.

an excuse to upgrade.......

Li-po time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

NakedDex wrote: »
    Do M249's have 14ccw ends?

Quick check later?
    - Yes.
    My CA 14 generic silencer fits on the ACM 249, but it's a little 'twitchy'. I'd guess TM equipment isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

NakedDex wrote: »
    Li-po time...

So....just in case your tracers don't burn bright enough, the glow from your whole gun going up in flames should provide enough illumination?

A bit drastic don't you think Dex?:D

You know me, "go big or go home"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I see...well I just wanted some bright bbs to put into my mag as the last rounds, so I will know when it is time to change the mag....

They won't work without the tracer unit or mag I'm afraid.

I have absoloutly no idea what everyone is talking about. All I wanted to do was get some different colour, or glow in the dark rounds to place as the last few rounds into my magazine, as an indication that I'm about to run out.

What's all this jargon about tracer mags?

Tracer rounds, or glow-in-the-dark rounds, need to be energised by a UV light source before they're able to glow. To do this you need something called a Tracer Unit or a Tracer Mag. These units contain a light source that energises the tracer bbs either while they're in the mag (tracer mag) or as they leave the barrel (tracer unit, looks like a silencer). Tracer bb's don't glow without these units.

I'm not aware of any high quality coloured bbs being available beyond white, black and green, though there may be some going somewhere on the asian sites.

• Advertisement

I get ya, in fairness, using black as standard and white as I suggested above may be a decent enough transition..

Those 'tracer' rounds though, are their colours not at all noticeable without the uv light?

Not really, they are coloured to the eye but very faintly. It's not defined enough so as to be something you'd notice too easily as they flew from the barrel. You might notice if you were paying attention to them but then you'd need to be taking your eyes off your target, which defeats the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Gyle

the black one open up another big can of worms as there invisible both ways if your not sighted perfect:cool:.But i know the problem i had it with my mid caps as the spring got old and soft the last few bb's wouldn't feed or you just miss the noise when your blank firing so i tried high quality light weight yellow. the transition was very obvious in colour and the hop-up make the yellow float away it's just a pain to refill in game.
    Had a good laugh with a 249 mag with a uv lamp off a little security pen taped to receiver port in side glowed nice for full flight.:D

I see.

Thanks for all the info folks.

I think I will begin using black bbs as standard and fill the mag in such a way that the last few rounds I fire are white bbs, so I know a mag change is coming up.
    That should be noticeable enough, without having to take attention away from the game.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd say on a lot of AEGs you wouldn't need the white. Well, it all depends on your hearing. I notice when enemys start dryfring all the time and then make my move.

also, unless you're using non wind-up mags, the BB's will change position as the mag emties. you would want to be loading about 30+ BB's in at the end to be sure.
    it would also be a pain when re-loading in the field to have to have two bb stores on you.

No, I'm not using wind up mags, they're for sissies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

No, I'm not using wind up mags, they're for sissies.

Make every shot count:D

Although the wind up hi cap mages do mean you have to spend less on lower cap mags. All the more money for BB's!!

Seriously though, one hi cap is good as a back up but the rattling once they start to empty is not what you'd call stealthy.

Ah I just think the idea of them is silly.

Anyway, thanks for all the input folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement