Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

global warming,.....shut it

Options
  • 08-06-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

man has had little to no effect on global warming, its a natural cycle that happens every few millennia and nothing we can do will effect it, we waste resources amd make our economies suffer in a fruitless effort to prevent it, a waste of time money sit back and enjoy the ride.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Promethean wrote: »
    oh no a few extra days of sunshine get over it

You're either trolling, or have pretty much 0.08% understanding of the issues you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The former methinks. Ah sure let him play.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hi Casey. Welcome back. We missed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

man has had little to no effect on global warming, its a natural cycle that happens every few millennia and nothing we can do will effect it, we waste resources amd make our economies suffer in a fruitless effort to prevent it, a waste of time money sit back and enjoy the ride.......
    I agree. Global warming will be the latest thing to hyjacked by the world governments and used to gain more control and dominance over our every day lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 JIMSTARK

The dogs on the street know that the whole thing is a load of tatter.

Scam after scam after scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

dogs are dumb. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

We know we're in trouble when the dogs start sunglasses ( or should it be raincoats?).

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

I agree. Global warming will be the latest thing to hyjacked by the world governments and used to gain more control and dominance over our every day lives.

Ah yes. Bilderberg. New World Order. United Nations. Club of Rome. Illuminati. Global Elite. Forces of evil.

Word of advice: Go out a little, get some exercise, don't spend so much time on the Internet. It distorts your perception and lowers your critical thinking skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 diamondgeezer

octo wrote: »
    Ah yes. Bilderberg. New World Order. United Nations. Club of Rome. Illuminati. Global Elite. Forces of evil.

Word of advice: Go out a little, get some exercise, don't spend so much time on the Internet. It distorts your perception and lowers your critical thinking skills.

You are bang on the money, Run.

This environment movement is nothing more than a basis for enslaving the average man.

Octo, stop being a "good guy".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Octo, stop being a "good guy".

He has a point though. The rabbits and birds and stuff growing has the potential to make you re-examine all your little CT's and realize that even if it is a massive conspiracy, life is just too short to be arsed worrying about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 diamondgeezer

He has a point though. The rabbits and birds and stuff growing has the potential to make you re-examine all your little CT's and realize that even if it is a massive conspiracy, life is just too short to be arsed worrying about it.

Yeah there is a worldwide campaign to enslave me, however I should just go along with it????

Its all a con, and I'm sick of listening to the endless propaganda. You and you type are the cause of this problem, people who are taken in by the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You and you type are the cause of this problem, people who are taken in by the hype.
    Yeah Casey, we're the ones who have been "taken in".

We're through the looking glass here people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Here is what the flat earthers need:

a) a compelling, logical argument

b) a sticky thread where they can challenge the mainstream consensus. The spamming up of this forum with repeat threads of such a basic topic is becoming tiresome.

Its all a con, and I'm sick of listening to the endless propaganda. You and you type are the cause of this problem, people who are taken in by the hype.

Propaganda ?
    When was the last time you saw propaganda in a field or at the beach ?
    You and your type that take everything a little too seriously are the problem, not the cause of anything. I take the hype in, read between the lines, check some of the odder looking facts out, draw my own conclusions, and have a little chuckle when I see people behaving like chicken little. I don't really care for your tone, and If you seriosuly think man hasn't damaged the environment, then you need some time to reflect on that. I'd suggest the local landfill or scrap yard, or maybe some open cast mines or quarry's. Theres a few lakes around the country with battle scars too. Get real dude. Everyone is not out to get you, In fact I'd say most people in control could not give less of a sh1t how worked up you get about this, They are fully aware of your inability to articulate a clear argument, so your simply not on their radar. Chill out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

I mean, just for the lulz, you could make the argument that we are in an interglacial period, and we needs to make things warmer on the whole to prevent the Earth sliding down into a Frosty the Snowman scenario, and ensure we get nice hot summers. This was, I gather, one of the Russian responses to Kyoto: 'Warmer you say? We have much tundra! More of this sort of thing!'.

Of course, this a less Stoic position than that of the OP, one that accepts that we have a significant influence on climactic feedback loops and all that malarkey...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Interesting recent palaeoclimate piece in Nature on temperature and cycles of CO2 and methane concentrations in the atmosphere :
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v453/n7193/full/453291a.html

Conclusions are that temperatures and greenhouse gas concentrations are highly correlated over the past 800,000 years and
    concentrations of greenhouse gases in the modern atmosphere are highly anomalous with respect to natural greenhouse-gas variations

Also, this is interesting:
    Carbon dioxide variability is almost universally viewed as an oceanic phenomenon, a consequence of the large pools of carbon sequestered there.
    So it looks like in the past the ocean primarily controlled the concentrations, whereas nowadays they are being influenced by fossil fuel combustion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Interesting recent palaeoclimate piece in Nature on temperature and cycles of CO2 and methane concentrations in the atmosphere :
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v453/n7193/full/453291a.html

I saw that, very interesting especially as one of the arguments used against AGW is that records can't go back far enough, 800,000yrs is really something for those who worked on it to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I agree.

great book on the natural variation of climate

Atlantis of the West (Paperback)
    by Paul Dunbavin (Author)

41C422Z07HL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Atlantis-West-Paul-Dunbavin/dp/1841197165

Hey man, this whole global warming thing is like, a huge hoax dude. I know because I read it on the internet. World government, cosmic rays, icecaps on mars, sunspots, WEATHER IS ALWAYS CHANGING DUDE!

I feel it in my gut. I just know its wrong. Scientists know nothing. They're always wrong.

Does the Bible mention "global warming"? NO!

Do your research. Its a natural cycle, just like the man said above.

Free your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Hey man, this whole global warming thing is like, a huge hoax dude. I know because I read it on the internet. World government, cosmic rays, icecaps on mars, sunspots, WEATHER IS ALWAYS CHANGING DUDE!

I feel it in my gut. I just know its wrong. Scientists know nothing. They're always wrong.

Free your mind.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Free your mind.
    Global warming is not a hoax. Anything on the internet that says so is obviously false and I would relate it to every other crackpot conspiracy theory. Weather is not always changing at least not like this.

Gut feelings count for nothing. Scientists are always right.

Just translated that garbage above for you.

Man made global warming is a myth. Fact? Who knows, give it 50 years and we might.

Anything on the internet that says so is obviously false and I would relate it to every other crackpot conspiracy theory.

The argument to beat isn't guilt-by-association.
    Its the data set, see above. Given the choice between peer review and a page on the internets, peer review wins, and internets fail.
    Weather is not always changing at least not like this.

Certainty isn't really possible. What we can get is a highly likely hypothesis that is A: consistent with the data B: obeys Teh Lawz of Fizzikz and C: has predictive power.
    Gut feelings count for nothing.

Climate Expert seems to be an advocate of Faith-Based Policy...
    Scientists are always right.

Science, unlike most ideologies, has mechanisms that allow its cherished 'gut feelings' and preconceptions to be proved wrong. It ain't perfect or 'right', and thankfully doesn't claim to be.

But imperfect science > certainty of 'gut feeling'.

Anyways, if you're conspiranoid:

A: follow the money trail on AGW deniers. Its usually an oil or coal company funded the research. Ask the basic conspiracy question, Cui Bono?

B: If you were The Cabal, (
    There Is No Cabal
    )would you only bet on one side?
    Surely both sides of the debate are controlled? So both Global Warmers AND their enemies are 'under control'?

Anyway, if anyone is *really* feeling paranoid, please read less Dan Brown and more Robert Anton Wilson, you'll be better off...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shhh don't feed the trolls,

Kama wrote: »
    B: If you were The Cabal, (
    There Is No Cabal
    )would you only bet on one side?
    Surely both sides of the debate are controlled? So both Global Warmers AND their enemies are 'under control'?

You are indeed correct, there is no Cabal but there is a Cabaal!! mwhahahah! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

As a member of the shadowy world conspiracy I strongly deny that!

AGW deniers
    Typical disgusting pro global warming expression, a denier. This term originated from holocaust deniers ie. Nazis. This is what you would like to equate me to but I'm invoking Godwins law so you lose and I win.

Typical disgusting pro global warming expression, a denier. This term originated from holocaust deniers ie. Nazis. This is what you would like to equate me to but I'm invoking Godwins law so you lose and I win.

I agree that comparisons with the Nazi holocaust are unwarranted, but there are a number of interpretations. You've chosen that one, and hence justify rejecting the label.

Our use of hydrocarbons is often compared to drug addiction, and 'denial' has a well understood meaning in that context which I think is appropriate:
    Denial (also called abnegation) is a defense mechanism' postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence. The subject may deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether (simple denial), admit the fact but deny its seriousness (minimisation) or admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility (transference). (Wikipedia)

So I would say instead that you are "in denial". The first stage of recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm sitting on the fence regarding global warming but I would welcome an answer to this query...

Does anyone know the average temperature in Ireland or the world in 1987 vs 2007

simple enough question and the answer to which would be great

many thanks

I'm sitting on the fence regarding global warming but I would welcome an answer to this query...

Does anyone know the average temperature in Ireland or the world in 1987 vs 2007

simple enough question and the answer to which would be great

many thanks
    Here it is from 1988. Its colder now than in 1988
    7390_large_hadcrut.jpg

Seemingly its gone up a little since then the latest from May is still .1c less than in 1988.
    Hadcrut is a well respected in measuring globabl temperature and not some conservative backed 'science' project.

In this same period carbon emissions have increased substantially.
    Global_Carbon_Emission_by_Type_to_Y2004.png
    (to 2004 but you can extrapolate out to 2008)

Ah the statistics speak for themselves, and have fcuk all to say... so whats new

• Advertisement

Claiming the use of the word 'denial' is grounds for invoking Godwins Law is a pretty fail response tbh. As the first person to say 'Nazi' for rhetorical purposes, Godwins could be used against you btw...

Rhetorical moves aside, your chart, if read as trend data, seems to supports the idea of warming. Notice the graph is moving upward overall. Taking the low point of a trough as your point of comparison makes no more sense than choosing the high of 1998 and going 'OMG itz warming!'.
    Your comparison with the output chart, offered copypasta in lieu of an argument (I presume?) assumes a linear relationship between output and temperature, doesn't find one, declares it a Win. This ain't so.
    Global weather systems and the carbon cycle aren't generally presumed to work like this; nonlinear chaotic systems don't behave in a linear manner.

Btw I could paste a load of graphs too! Its doesn't constitute a refutation, and placing the reference next to them would be a nice gesture. Especially since, peculiarly enough, the Hadley Center staff are a bit miffed that their data is being grossly misinterpreted in this way, and offered a rebuttal.
    More recently, 2005 was also an unusually warm year, the second highest in the global record, but was not boosted by the El Niño conditions that augmented the warmth of 1998....The fact remains that the rise in underlying surface temperature has averaged in excess of 0.15 °C per decade since the mid-1970s. A simple mathematical calculation of the temperature change over the latest decade (1998-2007) alone shows a continued warming of 0.1 °C per decade. Met Office/Hadley Center

or more directly
    A significant drop in global average temperature in January 2008 has led to speculation that the Earth is experiencing a period of sustained cooling.
    A brief look at the graph depicting January global average temperatures reveals large variability in our climate year-on-year, but with an underlying rise over the longer term almost certainly caused by man-made emissions of greenhouse gases.Hadley Center

Straight from the horses mouth. Helps to go to the source on these things, don't you agree?

Climate, I'm wondering who you consider to be the interests who are keeping the Truth down, besides paid shills for the Climate Cabal like myself ^_^

Because from the Other Side, it looks like organizations like the Heartland Institute and the Competitive Enterprise Institute who are the puppetmasters propagating disinfo on matters on which the scientific consensus has been clear for some time.

Advertisement