Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter whites not drinking?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have two new winter white hamsters and they don't seem to be drinking water out of their drinking bottle.

Any tips/ideas?

I have only had them a day and none of us have seen them near it.

Cheers,
    Chickenhawk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I wouldn't worry if it hasn't been used in a day,if its still the case in
    a couple of days then I'd worry.Is the bottle working and is this
    how they were getting water from the person you got them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Yep the bottle is working and I have no idea. I might email them if I don't see any improvement by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is this your first pair of Russian Dwarves or Winter Whites?

These little guys have very efficient kidneys and actually require very little water. If they drink too much, it's often an indicator that they may have diabetes or some other illness.

Additionally, it may take them a while to get settled in their new home. Plus they will be more active in the evening and night, when you may not be observing them.

Yep this is my first pair. I actually just seen one of them drinking a few minutes ago.

Another quick question. I have to move them to another house Dublin to sligo. Will I move them in the cage and make sure it is secure, or do I put them in a small box and bring the cage separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I often move mine in their cage, but I remove anything from the cage that may move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Lou08

I would definitely move them in their cage - they can get very stressed out if you put them in a little box for a long period of time, especially the dwarf variety.

I have moved house a few times with both dwarf and Syrian hamsters and they seem to do fine in their cages.

Just take down their water bottle, as from experience the bumpy journey will cause it to spill making the chippings in the cage all wet (they'll be fine for a few hours without it just remember to put it back up straight after the journey!), and remove anything else that could move - if you have a platform or levels in the cage move the things on them to the bottom level of the cage until the end of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

Another vote for moving them in their cage. They will be a lot more comfortable in their own environment. I drive Cork-Waterford-Dublin quite frequently and often have to bring my hamster Bertie with me as he needs medication. The trips don't bother him at all, he sleeps through them. And he gets shotgun! :P I adjust the passenger seat so that it pins the cage against the dashboad, very secure.

http://file045a.bebo.com/3/original/2008/05/30/16/7435659a7888770394o.jpg

genegenie wrote: »
    Another vote for moving them in their cage. They will be a lot more comfortable in their own environment. I drive Cork-Waterford-Dublin quite frequently and often have to bring my hamster Bertie with me as he needs medication. The trips don't bother him at all, he sleeps through them. And he gets shotgun! :P I adjust the passenger seat so that it pins the cage against the dashboad, very secure.

http://file045a.bebo.com/3/original/2008/05/30/16/7435659a7888770394o.jpg

I didn't think so much stuff could fit in a ford Ka!

I moved them and they didn't mind it. I minded it more because I have a nice sound system in my car and I didn't want to have it on high in case it scared them. But they are great now. Cleaned their cage out today and they thought it was class. Climbing over my arm, sniffing running, trying to escape! Great little animals.

Advertisement