Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a landlord....

Options
  • 08-06-2008 2:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can a landlord show off a property with the tenants still living there??
    Also this landlord never notifies us of dropping in for any reason so its a case of he will show off the house while we are not here and we won't know about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

THey have to notify you.. well thats the usual routine

Normally they should give you a day or two's notice, more in some cases, depending on what they are doing... For example delivery of a new appliance might be a day but showing the house might be a week to allow you to get the place in order

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah I know a landlord has to give 24 hours notification of calling into the house but this landlord just drops in whenever he feels like it.
    We have a rabbit and the landlord doesn't like the fact, he told me to place the rabbit in the garage because he doesn't want to be showing the house off with a rabbit in the dining room. SO he hasn't even asked if it is okay to show the house with our stuff still here or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yeah I know a landlord has to give 24 hours notification of calling into the house but this landlord just drops in whenever he feels like it.
    We have a rabbit and the landlord doesn't like the fact, he told me to place the rabbit in the garage because he doesn't want to be showing the house off with a rabbit in the dining room. SO he hasn't even asked if it is okay to show the house with our stuff still here or nothing.

If you dont have a lease/contract he can basically do what the f*ck he likes im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comrade Zed

Get in touch with Threshold (www.threshold.ie). They will advise you of your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

From Threshold
    As a tenant you are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home. Your landlord is only allowed enter with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with you. If the property is put up for sale, ask the landlord to agree viewing times with you. If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice.

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

caoibhin wrote: »
    If you dont have a lease/contract he can basically do what the f*ck he likes im afraid.

I had a years lease that expired a month ago. Normally he is sitting outside our house when we get home for work etc to collect rent and because we don't have set hours in work its a pain to think he is there. He has dropped in unannounced for rent days before/after the due date while we were serving up the diner and we couldn't eat in peace etc so basically the dinner would be stone cold and thrown in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

your lease although you believe has 'expired' is actually continuing unless another has been signed (unless a new agreement is in place the same terms for the original agreement are still in place)

if he comes around simply meet him at the door and say it isn;t convenient to come in - politely ask that he gives you at least 48 hours notice from now on (unless of course it;s an emergency)

if he doesn't want to play ball then sort out new premises if I was you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 brendan4

snellers wrote: »
    if he comes around simply meet him at the door and say it isn;t convenient to come in - politely ask that he gives you at least 48 hours notice from now on (unless of course it;s an emergency)
    lol, I love the simplisity of some forum posters. I would respectfully suggest if you follow this advice you will be out on your ear!

However the point might be, to politely explain to the landlord that you would prefer if he gave you notice to enter in future. Dont get snotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

brendan4 wrote: »
    lol, I love the simplisity of some forum posters. I would respectfully suggest if you follow this advice you will be out on your ear!

However the point might be, to politely explain to the landlord that you would prefer if he gave you notice to enter in future. Dont get snotty.

Out on their ear with a rather large pending judgement for illegal eviction, mind.

That said, the polite route should always be tried first.

Igy wrote: »
    Out on their ear with a rather large pending judgement for illegal eviction, mind.

That said, the polite route should always be tried first.

I have told him politely to ring us first to see if we are even at home because I spend alot of time around the country aswell but he has never once rang.
    At the moment I have had to resort to locking all interior doors in the house incase he tries to enter when we are not home (This happened a few times a year ago with him). He said he wants to show the house off to prospective tenants but not asked if that is okay with me and said he had a few for this week already so I want to make sure I catch him entering the house without my permission.

• Advertisement

if he doesn't want to play ball then sort out new premises if I was you

I have one sorted but not able to move in until the 4/5th of the month as we had to give the current landlord a months notice, if he insists on keeping his new attitude up with me I will leave straight away and move into a friends until the other house is ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

brendan 4 well you might laugh but that is something I sad to a landlord when renting a property - he actually apologised and said he didn;t even consider it might not be convenient - from then on he was as good as gold - as I said be polite - and quite frankly if the landlord kicks off over your comment then you are better off not being there

a landlord has responsibilities to allow tenants the ability to rent the property in peace and without hassle - if the tennants are paying on time and being respectable citizens there should be no reason the LL has to intrude without notice

threshold as mentioned above has all the info

jonny good on you mate if you get out of there - don;t put up with the crap

jonny good on you mate if you get out of there - don;t put up with the crap

Cheers, he has gotten to be a right pain in the rear, I was driving down town earlier and he actually tried blocking my car on the road, I had to creep past his car and the car that was parked without hitting them, I only had mm's either side of the car.

Then when I was watching the match, I heard footsteps around the side passage, it was him doing something. He was gone by the time I got up to check, he was walking away from the house.

This really has me annoyed, I'm just glad I have decided to leave and lock everything up while I'm gone during the day.

Advertisement