Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper II: The Best Way To Merely Pass

Options
  • 08-06-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I don't expect to do fantastically well in Maths. I merely need a pass, and I imagine the majority of students are in the same boat. Taking it I passed maths 1, with a score knocking just below a low C, what do people think is the best way to pass Maths Paper II.

What questions tend to be more accesible etc?

A lot of people in my room are merely looking to pass Maths (OL) and I've focused on Irish, Business etc. this weekend. So what I'm asking, if anybody has a minute, is if you merely wanted the pass.....what would you spend an hour or so studying?

cheers,
    a slightly nervous Dub who should be on the Hill right now but isn't :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Im in the same boat. It's easy to pass though. Go now and get your exam papers and your maths book. Pick 4 questions that you'd be able to manage. Check how to do them in your maths book and then do 4 or 5 exam papers on that question using the codes to check all answers and methods on e-xamit.ie. It'll all be fresh in your head tomorrow. Do 5 or even 6 if you are unsure with any Q's. Remember you can pass by doing A and B parts of 6 questions. I studied the first 4 questions in paper 1 on thursday night, spent an hour studying it. Went into the exam hall the next morning. Did them all out perfect in about 45 minutes and went home to study for geog. I intend to do the same tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Are you doing pass or higher maths?

If Pass, I'd recommend doing:

Area - most of formulas in log book. need to know Simpsons formula. w/3 [First + Last +(4(evens) + 2(odds)] or
    lcmAreas11.gif
    Line - basics
    Circle - basics
    Statistics - basically writing down info and drawing graphs, need to know standard deviation and mean though.
    Probability/Trigonometry
    Linear Programming

Ones in bold are nearly always asked the same thing. Minimal formulas needed to know and are not hard.

If you're stuck with a question about Line/Circle/Linear, just ask. They're my best Q :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

You have no idea how much this relates to me.
    Spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Are you doing pass or higher maths?

If Pass, I'd recommend doing:

Area - most of formulas in log book. need to know Simpsons formula. w/3 [First + Last +(4(evens) + 2(odds)] or
    lcmAreas11.gif
    Line - basics
    Circle - basics
    Statistics - basically writing down info and drawing graphs, need to know standard deviation and mean though.
    Probability/Trigonometry
    Linear Programming

Ones in bold are nearly always asked the same thing. Minimal formulas needed to know and are not hard.

If you're stuck with a question about Line/Circle/Linear, just ask. They're my best Q :)

Nice edit on your simpsons rule there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Cheers to everyone who's posted here.

I find with Maths, I can divide my own class in half.
    *half are counting on it, expecting a B1 up.
    *half don't 'need' it as such, and a D3 is their college requirement.

The above is pretty helpful, thanks.

Nice edit on your simpsons rule there.

:o Sorry, I knew I had forgotten something. I hate the Area Q, usually mess up part C.

No, I don't care how much this pipe fills up after 5 seconds of water coming from a cone with 1/2 pie height of the rectange...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Cheers to everyone who's posted here.

I find with Maths, I can divide my own class in half.
    *half are counting on it, expecting a B1 up.
    *half don't 'need' it as such, and a D3 is their college requirement.

The above is pretty helpful, thanks.

Same with mine. Half of us are hoping for A1s, half are worrying about passing. Twas a great class though, Ill miss it. :(

After the atrocities of Paper1, I can only look for a B at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Something I posted 2 days ago to help with Maths OL PII
    click below
    Maths Ordinary Paper 2 essentials+ questions you can safely leave out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

anyone else feeling really daunted about tomorrow? im so depressed, been trying to do paper 2 q.s all day & they are SO DIFFICULT.. after all this paper 1 i forgot how bl**dy hard paper 2 is!!!!!!! :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Paper 2 is MUCH easier.

You are given Most of the Formulas including Area of cylinder, sphere...etc
    You are given Sine+Cosine Rule!!
    As For the slope, distance etc, just learn em off(not that many!), the Minute u sit down scribble d learnt-off ones down So u can refer to them later on in the exam!

Then Just fill in the blanks!! ;)

Advertisement