Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Speeds..

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

What would a 2.8Ghz P4 be equivalent to in today’s ‘Dual Core’ terms. Would I get the same horse power from a 2.0GHz Pentium Dual Core Processor as I would from the 2.8Ghz P4?

I understand that there are other factors such as the L2 cache etc but I just want to know in general.

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Philbert wrote: »
    Hi folks,

What would a 2.8Ghz P4 be equivalent to in today’s ‘Dual Core’ terms. Would I get the same horse power from a 2.0GHz Pentium Dual Core Processor as I would from the 2.8Ghz P4?

I understand that there are other factors such as the L2 cache etc but I just want to know in general.

TIA :)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/processors/3d-studio-max-9,369.html

Full set of benchmarks, you can compare a pentium D 2.8ghz to one of the new Core 2 duos.

TBH the new core 2 duos are a lot better than the old p4s, a 2.0ghz duo is much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

cant say I'd ever consider single core processing again to be honest. Dual Core has a few other benefits beyond mere clock speed, mostly related to multi-threading/processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Cheers uberpixie, just what I needed.

Advertisement