Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Maths equipment question.

Options
  • 08-06-2008 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I have this small piece of laminated paper, with the maths tables p9 on one side, p41 the other (In other words, the two most common pages).

Now I have used this for homework etc. for the last two years as I find it brilliantly useful. . . . I sit right in front of my examiner and he's a maths teacher, he seems easy-going and I get the feeling that he thinks I'm alright as he appreciates people doing higher maths.

Do you think if I ask him at the start, that I'll be allowed to use it? It's perfectly legit as far as I'm concerned. No external writing on it, just the two pages, back to front. All it does is save time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No, I really don't think he'd let you use it. You can't use anything like that which hasn't been pre-approved.
    Besides, turning from Page 9 to Page 41 in the log tables is hardly a time-consuming process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

No, I really don't think he'd let you use it. You can't use anything like that which hasn't been pre-approved.
    Besides, turning from Page 9 to Page 41 in the log tables is hardly a time-consuming process.

It is for me! Especially compared to what it could be, it's just in P2 on Monday I could be flicking over and back fifty times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I think it probably depends on the examiner you have, if it's one of those rigid types then he probably won't allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't think he's going to risk getting skinned by an inspector just so you don't have to turn to pg 41 for the little bit of calculus on paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Most examiners are sound so he'll probably let you use it.....

if not, Just ask for 2 sets of log tables!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

blue-army wrote: »
    if not, Just ask for 2 sets of log tables!

better get three. there's Area & Volume on paper two aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Peleus wrote: »
    better get three. there's Area & Volume on paper two aswell!

haha!! this is hilarious :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Is there anything written on the laminated piece of paper? If not I'd say go for it and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Jakkass wrote: »
    Is there anything written on the laminated piece of paper? If not I'd say go for it and ask.

Nope, just the two pages, and obviously nothing can be written on the laminated part!

I'm thinking the fact that he is a maths teacher, genuinely likes to see higher maths students (When giving out P1 he was saying "This will look great on your CV" to the whole room - there are only 6 of us doing it!). He always lets us go 10mins overtime in any test if we need. He's sound I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

fivetwenty wrote: »
    It is for me! Especially compared to what it could be, it's just in P2 on Monday I could be flicking over and back fifty times.

Use a paper clip.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

fivetwenty wrote: »
    Nope, just the two pages, and obviously nothing can be written on the laminated part!

I'm thinking the fact that he is a maths teacher, genuinely likes to see higher maths students (When giving out P1 he was saying "This will look great on your CV" to the whole room - there are only 6 of us doing it!). He always lets us go 10mins overtime in any test if we need. He's sound I think.

Go up and talk to him before the exam tomorrow.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Use a paper clip.
    ;)
    I improvised and used the clips on my spare pens :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

No! Didn't you get the little pink book full of the rules?

Advertisement