Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swimming in lakes and rivers

Options
  • 07-06-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I know that this might probably sound crazy, but are there any lakes, reservoirs or rivers in the Greater Dublin area that are suitable for wild leisure swimming? I'm not talking about exercising for a triathlon or the liffey swim ;-) Just an occasional swim out in the open nature - its summer after all and I've had it with swimming in pools all winter :-)

Can anybody recommend any places where such a swim would be safe enough? I have read plenty about open sea swimming and beaches in Dublin and Ireland, but I'm looking for a quiet lake or reservoir to relax at and in.

And finally - is it just me, or is wild swimming a rather rare thing in Ireland? In my native Germany we literally spend our weekends and evenings at the lakes, swimming, sun bathing, BBQing, relaxing ... I know the weather doesn't really encourage this kind of leisure activity here, but since this year's summer looks promising enough, I wonder where to go to best.

Advertisement