Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Power Edge 1600SC cpu fan

Options
  • 07-06-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I have a dell Power Edge 1600SC and the cpu fan died. I've temporarily rigged up a case fan to keep the cpu cool, but it's not ideal at all because I can't reboot the machine because the bios complains that the CPU fan is not spinning. I tried a P4 and an Athlon fan and they both burnt out straight away. Do I need a propietary Dell CPU fan or is the fan pin layout on a Socket 478 different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Have a look at the wiring of the old fan. You'll have a red and a black wire and another, either blue or yellow.
    Red is positive power, black is negative and the third is a fan-speed sense.
    Also have a look at what the voltage rating is - it's likely to be 12v and not 5v. (as far as I remember it's 12v on this server). Your new fan needs to match this.

Connect up a new fan as per the red and black colours and ignore the extra wire for the moment. If the new fan works then connect up the extra wire and see if that gets rid of the fan error on boot. If not, you'll need to get a new fan from Dell Part Sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for your help on this 10-10-20!

Advertisement