Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help- Changed wep settings in Netgear

Options
  • 07-06-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I basically was trying to connect xbox to home wireless. I tried to take off wep as wireless adaptor wasnt picking it up. I think thats faulty but thats not the issue.
    Now i think with swapping from wep to open and back to wep i somehow chnaged the security login, generated from a word which id forgot but now know. Basically i think i hit enter on a different generated word, ie the password created from that, but i can only connect by ethernet.
    Problem is connecting by ethernet i vcant find how to get into wireless router settings, obv im connected to router.

Ive tried factory reset on the wireless router but it still says, in available wireless, that its a secure network.

losing my mind with this. the thing is sat there and i cant use it....my h/mates are gonna be pist.

if anyone cane generate pws for the following words.... Sheffield or owlsowls.... it may help.

thanks in advance

muppet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Try visiting http://192.168.0.1 and log in. If your credentials are refused, someone probably pass cracked your router which isn't surprising if you're using dictionary words. You really need tougher password -- upper- and lowercase letters, mixed with numbers. Try using the second or third passwords listed on this page. It generates strong passwords with each visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

OK, the password is generated from a word, the word is not the password.
    Im the one thats hacked into it and changed it, but I dont know what ive changed it to because I cant access routerlogin.net while connected by ethernet.....or can I??

If anyone has any suggestions on how to reset the router, which is security enabled so i cant connect wirelessly, but i dont know the password now even though its sat on our living room floor and i want to kill it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Connect by ethernet. then http://192.168.0.1 shout take you into the netgear.

The defaults are then username: admin password: admin or admin and password

These are only to access the router settings.

That should get you into the netgear and you can adjust your wireless settings accordingly.

If that fails there is a pinhold in the back of the netgear which if pushed in for a few secs should restore the default settings and you can proceed as above to set up your wireless network

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

if the router says, it is still security enabled, I would think that you have not reset the router properly. usually a pen on the little button a the back ( depending on router) for a full 5 to 10 seconds and then it restarts/ or all the lights light up , and then restarts.. , then should be security free.

Advertisement