Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grid Connected home Solar power

Options
  • 07-06-2008 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

I just read the following.
    Does anyone have anymore info on this.
    How much will the ESB take back into the grid?
    What price will they pay for it?
    When will it be available?
    What is the cost of installation?

And so on.

Dublin, 16th April 2008
    Sunpeak Ireland are delighted with Minister Ryans announcement below and await further info from Sei.

Energy Minister, Eamon Ryan today announced a pilot grant scheme which will allow users to generate electricity for their own use.

Electricity will be generated via small-scale technologies such as wind turbines and solar power, with the potential to sell excess power back to suppliers. Grant support to meet 50% of the initial start up costs will be made available for the installation of microgeneration systems in approximately 50 trials to be conducted nationwide.

Speaking at the annual SEI Energy Show at the RDS, Minister Ryan said, “We are starting to make great strides with large-scale renewable energy, which will impact on power generation on a national level. Today, we focus on small scale generation in commercial sites and domestic dwellings.”

With €2 million being provided in 2008 by the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, the programme will be administered by Sustainable Energy Ireland in conjunction with key stakeholders, including the Commission for Energy Regulation, ESB Networks and electricity suppliers. The scheme follows a change in regulations last year allowing people to sell electricity back to the grid. It will provide the groundwork for consideration of a set feed in tariff for electricity produced through microgeneration.

Welcoming the programme, Minister Ryan said, ‘This scheme will empower electricity users to take action.

The change in regulations last year has cleared the way for Irish people to sell electricity back to the national grid. This, along with today's announcement and the roll-out of smart meters will ultimately mean that everyday in every home people can use power in the most efficient manner possible.

We know from international experience that microgeneration can provide a sustainable, reliable and affordable alternative to the traditional methods of power generation. It is time to provide such an alternative here.”

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I had a look at this at the green energy fair in leopardstown recently.
    www.coolpower.ie seemed to be fairly good for PV products.

It'll be a while before the metering technology will be available to consumers though.
    Whatever you generate (which won't be much from solar).
    Don't know - good question.
    again, probably 5-10 years off.
    around €10k for a system giving 800-1100kWh/year (installation extra I think)

The biggest problem with solar here is there are no grants and so the payback is about 10-12years.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Sorry Steve, the payback is much longer than that - think at least 20+ years.

The marketing folks will tell you that the solar panels are very reliable and will last much longer than 25 years, but you will still have maintenance to take into account and without a decent feed-in-tariff you will never get a solar PV system to pay back.

For comparison: In Austria the utilities will pay you €0.50 per kWh of solar that you feed back into the grid. This rate is guaranteed for 20 years. Austrians are therfore able to calculate reasonable payback periods and Austria has a very high base of installed PV. But it does require a high level of subsidy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

nmacc, any idea what rate ESB will be offering per home generated kWh?

Good point on the fixed rate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

won't be alot at the beginning - 6c i think
    this autumn they will start paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 angelsmile

The sun is a gift from God, that we really need. It is indeed amazing that we can make use of it's heat. To have energy for our homes and appliances and of course, to save! Solar energy panels really helped many people. It is very useful and reasonable in saving money. It is all natural and a green nature friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

angelsmile wrote: »
    The sun is a gift from God...
    This is not the Religion & Spirituality forum.

From your link:
    In minutes you'll know how to build your own simple, ingenious home power supply...
    P.S. There's absolutely zero risk for you.
    Encouraging people to build their own power supplies doesn't sit right with me - it's EXTREMELY dangerous and potentially life-threatening. You really think it's a good idea? The numerous inaccuracies on that web-page didn't set off any alarm bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

djpbarry wrote: »
    This is not the Religion & Spirituality forum.

From your link:
    Encouraging people to build their own power supplies doesn't sit right with me - it's EXTREMELY dangerous and potentially life-threatening. You really think it's a good idea? The numerous inaccuracies on that web-page didn't set off any alarm bells?

couldn't agree more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

And so on.

Thanks
    I'm not an expert at solar photo but the cost at the moment is horrendous, 20 years pay back is optimistic as far as I understand.
    The ESB will take any unused power, these generators work all the time (sun permitting) even while you're not using any, that power is sold back at 19c per kwh for the first 300kwh.
    It's available now, as are the meters (ESB supply them)
    Cost is dependant on what panels you use, their size etc but it's very expensive right now.
    Wind turbines make more sense at the moment but they aren't suitable for every site, rural and open is best. Most of the country has a good enough windspeed to produce enough electricity to power an average home.

www.turbotricity.com

djpbarry wrote: »
    From your link:

I understand what you're saying but there are very strict criteria for connection: certified electricians, ESB inspections, permission and installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

bladespin wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying but there are very strict criteria for connection: certified electricians, ESB inspections, permission and installation.
    I know, but the website in question appears to be encouraging unqualified people to build and install generators themselves to save money.

Advertisement