Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Download limits... Has anyone got charged extra for going over their limit?

Options
  • 07-06-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Eircom Download limits... Has anyone got charged extra for going over their limit?

I see another post on here where a guy and his flat mates hit 120Gb on a 20gb limit in one month, but he doesn't come back to tell us if he got charged extra...

The reason i ask is that i have a 2mb line with a 20gb limit and i normally only use 40-50% of my limit each month but due to transferring files online from our work server to home this week, i have already hit 24gb and its only 7 days into the month! and i have at least another 15gb of files to do next week!

Eircom state that they can charge 1cent inc vat per MB after the limit and if this is the case and they do enforce that, i am looking at 19gb (1024mb per gb) = 19456mb which would equal €194.56 extra!

Can someone here confirm that they do/do not enforce the download limits?

Thanks in advance... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This comes up soooo often :p
    They don't charge, but I'm sure if you seriously took the piss they would get onto you. In your case I definitely wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Yeah, sorry about asking, i did think it was an often asked question, i did search, but only spotted the other guys post on the limit and his flatmates.

My other worry is what would eircom exactly classify as pulling the piss... as i might have to hit 30-40 gigs in the next two consecutive months?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Access wrote: »
    My other worry is what would eircom exactly classify as pulling the piss... as i might have to hit 30-40 gigs in the next two consecutive months?

That's not taking the piss, normal use in my opinion, you'll be grand.

Ah fair enough so...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here been charged extra by eircom for excessive downloading and what was your limit/what did you hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think taking the piss on a 2mbit line would be at the other side of 100gig. I do know a few people who have gotten to the 100-150gig range and never been charged, but I very much wouldn't chance going over a 100 with it because they will eventually get strict on it at some stage and wouldn't want them to decide to charge when you have gotten 100gig down that month. I haven't heard any concrete cases of people getting charged and I'm a broadband section addict :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I just download as I like on Eircom, I've given up on checking my limit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't even know how to check my limit. I've gone over it by a good bit most months and haven't heard a word from them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I've never heard of anybody being charged by Eircom for exceeding the cap. But, like BT, they'll probably start enforcing it soon by throttling people's connection speeds when they go over. That seems to be the way all the ISPs are going now

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Cheers, will find out my account number later and see how much I've gone over it by.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

I called once tech support to complain about the download stats and the guy on the phone told me there are no download limits......
    My guess is it is not a problem, processing the excess usage is maybe more expensive and only drives customers to Smart, so they don't care.........

Thanks one and all for the info... :)

I am reassured now that i wont get charged!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so many threads about this and its dealt with in the FAQ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement