Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved here!

Options
  • 07-06-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good vet? I've just moved to Maynooth in Co. Kildare with my cat, have been recommended to go to Beaufield in Celbridge. Has anyone here been there? What are they like, and would you recommend them? I don't want any negatives really, just whether or not they seem to be a reasonable crowd.
    Thanks a mil, just want the best for my cat!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

They are fantastic! Cant recommend them highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Great vets!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

fantastic vets in beaufield going there on Monday to introduce my hedgie

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

I would not recommend Beaufield at all. As far as I can see they treat the animals like they are on a production line. No warmth or care just wham, bam, next!

The only time I have ever used them was for a dog I found and felt needed urgent attention and they were the closest. They were supposed to clip his badly matted coat and clean out his muck impacted ears but did a half assed job of both. They kept him for 2 nights and charged me €175.

It wouldnt kill them to crack the odd smile either!

wow am surprised Chiron
    I have brought 4 dogs there and a cat so far and no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I'm surprised too. Having had numerous of cats with them, my own and others ,i have found their service excellent. I always feel the time is given to explain what exactly is going on. I have never had an issue with any of the vets i've dealt with down there and i know alot of work goes on behind the scenes with rescues. And they actually understand cats, not like some of the vets i've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

I really dont want to turn this thread into a

"They are brilliant because........."

vs.

"They are crap because............."

But, none of my experiences with them have been good. There are far more caring vets out there. I have dealt with some rescue people who have no time for them for exactly the same reasons. As long as things are going well i.e. "your cat/dog has x disease give him these tablets" then you will be fine but, as soon as any issues arise, such as questioning a bill or diagnosis/treatment then you will see their true colours.

My main gripe is really their lack of warmth towards the animals. I have seen them drag terrified dogs by their leads as they lie on the floor. Now, I know a lot of dogs are terrified at the vets but would it be so hard to try and calm or gently encourage the dog as opposed to just dragging it like a sack of meat without even looking back at it.

They may (or may not) be fine vets but their bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired.

well i can also recommend Theresa in Leixlip village she is lovely and great manner with animals

I am a rescue that has dealt extensively with them & have nothing but praise for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Congo

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll certainly bear it all in mind. I know its a big practice, is there any vet I should be looking to make an appointment with in particular?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

cotton wrote: »
    I am a rescue that has dealt extensively with them & have nothing but praise for them.

You're a rescue? Well, that's from the horse's mouth! And what an intelligent dog/cat/horse you must be to be posting here.

:confused: Luckat, you'll find there are a lot of rescues on this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

cotton wrote: »
    :confused: Luckat, you'll find there are a lot of rescues on this board.

It was tongue in cheek;)

Sorry, it's gone completely over my head.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Luckat, cop your self on before you are banned.

Advertisement