Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No graphics and no boot problem

Options
  • 06-06-2008 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭

Have been asked to have a look at a computer...

When you switch the computer on it fires up but there's no beep for the boot up sequence and the monitor (all connected fine) doesn't go green on the power light. If you have the vga cable plugged in the monitor it stays in stand-by mode. Take the vga cable out the monitor looks for the video signal.

Now, I opened the computer up to investiagte and detached the graphics card. I then powered up the computer without the graphics card. It started up and beeped...it wasn't a double beep and sounded like a normal boot up.

I got a second graphics card and plugged it in the computer....same problem - no life out of it and monitor stays off.

Does any have any idea of what is happening? Would it be the motherboard with PCIe socket problem?

Any help is appreciated!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

First thing to do is to reset the cmos. You can do this by either resetting the jumper, or remove the small 1€ sized flat battery for a few mins and replacing it. While your at it reset the ram too and make sure all the cable are securely in. Plug them out and back in to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Possibly just the driver for the gfx card doesnt load until Windows loads - have you tried connecting to onboard video card (if present) or waiting a minute or so until Windows loads - I got a machine here that will display POST through onboard port but is then disabled when the gfx card driver loads . Sounds similar ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Anti,

I did as you said, removed the jumper, removed the battery, removed the RAM...then put them all back after about a minute!

So one of the above actions worked! :) Firstly, thanks for the prompt post, secondly, thanks for the comments that worked!

Astrofluff :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Glad it worked :)

Advertisement