Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inniscarra Dam swimming spot

Options
  • 06-06-2008 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering has anyone or does anyone swim in the inniscarra dam in Cork and if so is it safe to do so and where?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I can't imagine it's the safest spot. The national rowing center occupies part of the lake at Farran woods and there is a water skiing school near Dripsey. There are a few 'no swimming' signs here and there, but that might just be Coillte and the ESB covering themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Can you swim in dammed up areas? I thought dammed water has high levels of bacteria in it which can make you ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The water quality above the dam is good. We get in at the Recreational area (about a mile up from the dam). It's a lovely swim, clear water, you can stay close to the bank all the time so particularly good for beginners. The distance from the rec area to the yellow bouy and back is 2.4 miles but lots of new people go less. There is a group from Cork Tri club who get in at 7 on Thursdays. Probably best to go around the "yellow bouy" at the damn end because there are signs at the tower saying you'll get sucked in if you go too close.

There is also a lee fields swim this week on the 11th if anyone fancies that. Quite a short one of about 400m upstream and 400 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irishrm

Is the recreational area on the left hand side as you travel out of town? There are a few small boats pulled up on the grass with a few houses at the front? I'm looking for somewhere to swim close to the city without having to go as far as Kinsale / Sandycove.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Can you swim in dammed up areas? I thought dammed water has high levels of bacteria in it which can make you ill?

Seeing as it is the raw water source for about 250,000 people You'd hope it was good enough quality. Although there are nutrient problems from agricultural practices in the summer.

• Advertisement

The quality tends to be worse later in the summer, easy to see from the algae growth. We're heading out that way tomorrow evening (about 6:30) if anyone is going.

Didn't check for a response till today. How was it?

Let me know if you are going out again soon.

It was fantastic. Water temperature was a balmy 16 C (better than I was expecting). Probably going again on Friday but I'm happy to go out anytime if you want to pm me when suits you.

Hunnymonster,

Are you still swimming down by Inniscarra?

I never got my ass in gear properly to start swimming down there as I got a bit distracted with Gael Force West. I'm looking to start swimming training in the expectation that I will be competing in triathlons next year.

not really. Haven't been swimming much because my broken nose is taking a long time to heal and swimming not much fun with it moving around the place. I'm happy to go out for a short session at any stage if you're looking for company though.

• Advertisement

Ouch, do you mind me asking how you did the damage?

I'm going to try and get back training next week on the road, bike and water so I'll let you know when I plan to take the first dip in the winter water. Been waiting on a hamstring to give me the ok.

Where abouts in Cork are you based? I live on Sundays Well across from St Vincents church.

someone thumped me during a triathlon....occupational hazzard it would appear.

We live in Cobh but work on the Western road so usually continue out to the dam from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OliviaCole

Im a resident at the dam there is NO SWIMMING in this area there.is signs for a reason there are just no there to cover themselves there as it is unsafe as the water rises and drops in differnt area..also triathlons are not aloud and they seem to think.there better than anyone else and are oblivious to them! And just for any of ye swimming there Remember Sound Rises so when yee are swimming at 4 in the morning I am the one listing to it and I dont appreciate it,!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Da Fuq??!

This thread is almost six years old, maybe use the triathlon forum if you want to have a little rant! Although be careful, they're a fiesty bunch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement