Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations: Wireless networking antennas

Options
  • 06-06-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Looking for anyone who can recommend an antenna or antennas that will cover about 150m. This is for a non-profit group so cost is a factor. I need to go wireless as we are crossing a road and can't bury the cable. Looking at 2 Wrt54gl with open source firmware set in wireless repeater mode but its the distance where the problem starts. I haven't a clue when it comes to antennas and I would prefer to draw on someone's experience or knowledge then making some wild guess. So anyone know of some antennas that will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Hmm I had to setup a similar network about 3years ago and to be honest it met with varied success, I was using D link external antennas and they were brutal to be honest, although maybe the technology has improved in recent years. Im not too sure of what the best antenna to use is nowadays, but whatever antenna your using make sure its directional, rather than omni. Is this going across a busy road etc? I was finding that the network was really unstable, things like atmospheric pressure, neighbouring wifi and even large trucks going across the road would effect the performance and stability of the network. Is there broadband in both locations? If there is I would strongly reccomend going for a box to box VPN solution instead, which is eventually what I installed once broadband became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

150 meters with clear Line Of Sight should be peanuts for any decent antenna.
    If you are looking for an Irish supplier have a look here: http://www.wi-pipe.com/.
    Otherwise I can recommend: www.interline.pl
    have tried and tested both and they provide quality antennas.

E.

Advertisement