Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonus Irish mark for Maths.

Options
  • 06-06-2008 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

daggy wrote: »
    did it in "irish" too... used so much irish just so they couldnt take the bonus from me...

Can you actually get a bonus mark for answering maths through irish?!!

I want ocular proof people!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EI787

Yes, according to examinations.ie, you get a 5% bonus:
    Bonus marks at the rate of 5 per cent will be given to a candidate who obtains less than 75 per cent of the total marks in the case of the following subjects:- French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Accounting, Engineering, Construction Studies, Materials Technology (Wood), Metalwork, Technology, Typewriting, Russian, Japanese.

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

How in God's name can this happen?? What could you possibly be writing in Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

The exam paper would be in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Afaik you need to do all exams in Irish, not just Maths

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Sometimes in proofs you may have to include a sentence e.g.

"Hence, by the principle of mathematical induction P(n) is true..."

Or in Differentiation if you were asked to state why f(x) has just one root, you might have to write a sentence explaining it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

The exam paper would be in Irish
    But the examiner wouldnt know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

The idea is that you are in a gaeltacht school, with an all irish teaching policy. The subject is taught strictly through irish (and it was for me, seriously) and the books are in irish (and let me tell you they are PATHETIC, confusing and have really **** irish too that doesnt make sense.) The irish maths classes can be inspected whenever the department deem fit... its true. but i've never seen it happen.

Doing maths in irish is pointless, stupid and very very difficult since you get absolutely no grasp on the theory behind it. its hard to try to understand it becasue the irish is just made up theoretical words, and the explanations are llikewise. Thats why i bought engl maths papers , to get into it for the exam. then i used the english paper today. Like for question 2(c) there is no WAY i could make head or tail of that irish. Its total crap, fresh from some roinn oideachas dictionary that they made up just for honours maths. btw , i couldnt make head or tail of it in english either hahaha...

Doing maths in irish also leaves you screwed for later life, if you pursue any mathsy field. Maths is sort of meant to be like a universal language too..so putting bullcrapy irish terms on it that nobody understands is outrageous.I wouldnt be able to tell you the english word for "congarach, taobhagan,urcoireach" only for taking physics this year , which is only taught through english (this is only due to lack of an irish book, which my phyics teacher is actually writing atm..toolbag)

it should be scrapped. I can almost 100% promise you too that if it were scrapped , the grades would improve since when taught in english it actually makes sense...

its stupid and i resent it! but CRIMANY, i am gonna milk it while i can.

I wrote stuff today like:

"is fréamh i seo" , " is fior" , "ni fheadfadh se a bheith <0 anseo, toisc..bla bla ". there is v little to write in the exam, but the covering of the course in irish etc really deserves the bonus i think. like i said, it should be scrapped. btw, i didnt even have the option to do it in english . had to do it in irish for JC too.
    stupid gaeltacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

The idea is that you are in a gaeltacht school, with an all irish teaching policy. The subject is taught strictly through irish (and it was for me, seriously) and the books are in irish (and let me tell you they are PATHETIC, confusing and have really **** irish too that doesnt make sense.) The irish maths classes can be inspected whenever the department deem fit... its true. but i've never seen it happen.

Doing maths in irish is pointless, stupid and very very difficult since you get absolutely no grasp on the theory behind it. its hard to try to understand it becasue the irish is just made up theoretical words, and the explanations are llikewise. Thats why i bought engl maths papers , to get into it for the exam. then i used the english paper today. Like for question 2(c) there is no WAY i could make head or tail of that irish. Its total crap, fresh from some roinn oideachas dictionary that they made up just for honours maths. btw , i couldnt make head or tail of it in english either hahaha...

Doing maths in irish also leaves you screwed for later life, if you pursue any mathsy field. Maths is sort of meant to be like a universal language too..so putting bullcrapy irish terms on it that nobody understands is outrageous.I wouldnt be able to tell you the english word for "congarach, taobhagan,urcoireach" only for taking physics this year , which is only taught through english (this is only due to lack of an irish book, which my phyics teacher is actually writing atm..toolbag)

it should be scrapped. I can almost 100% promise you too that if it were scrapped , the grades would improve since when taught in english it actually makes sense...

its stupid and i resent it! but CRIMANY, i am gonna milk it while i can.

I wrote stuff today like:

"is fréamh i seo" , " is fior" , "ni fheadfadh se a bheith <0 anseo, toisc..bla bla ". there is v little to write in the exam, but the covering of the course in irish etc really deserves the bonus i think. like i said, it should be scrapped. btw, i didnt even have the option to do it in english . had to do it in irish for JC too.
    stupid gaeltacht.
    I feel for ya man, but i'm simply talking about just tickin a box, and using "tá" and "agus" here and there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Haha ! Oh man that is tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

EI787 wrote: »
    Yes, according to examinations.ie, you get a 5% bonus:

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=im

How in God's name can this happen?? What could you possibly be writing in Irish??

I thought it was 5% of what you didn't get? That's what it was when I was in school anyway. Didn't make a difference to me, my marks were too high for it so count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Its a godsend folks.

Today, I had an Irish paper (And the English one they hand out with it!)

5% of what I didn't get, thank you. After doing the maths (no pun.....) theres no way in hell I didn't pass, but it will still help greatly to put my mind at ease for Monday. Maths isn't worth a piss to me like, so its people like me who benefit from the extra mark, as it makes ALL the difference!

and its higher in other subjects...we're given both papers. just have to be careful not to use too much of the 'foreign language' or you lose the bonus I think :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

the books are in irish (and let me tell you they are PATHETIC, confusing and have really **** irish too that doesnt make sense.)
    Disagree.
    Doing maths in irish is pointless, stupid and very very difficult since you get absolutely no grasp on the theory behind it. its hard to try to understand it becasue the irish is just made up theoretical words, and the explanations are llikewise.
    Strongly disagree.
    Doing maths in irish also leaves you screwed for later life, if you pursue any mathsy field.
    Again, strongly disagree,
    putting bullcrapy irish terms on it that nobody understands is outrageous.I wouldnt be able to tell you the english word for "congarach, taobhagan,urcoireach"
    Get a fecking dictionary then, though I don't see why you'd need one - congarach and urchomaireach (which you can't even spell...) are common Irish words any Irish speaker should be able to understand. And taobhagán is a much easier term to understand than "hypotenuse".

Seriously dude, GTFO of the Gaeltacht. Many students manage perfectly fine being taught maths through Irish, and many students in Irish speaking schools go on to do maths degrees in university and do very well. Just because you have a bad attitude towards it doesn't mean the LC as Gaeilge should be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

When i did my leaving..many moons ago, i did my maths paper, French paper (cos there was no english in it anyway) & Chemistry paper through Irish and got the extra credit for same! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I did my exam through Irish, haven't done maths in Irish since 1st year though...'twas grand, just wrote down nòimèad and mèadar where necessary XD 5% of what you don't get, it's really very little. If they decide not to accept that you did it in Irish or something, it's unlikely to affect ya that much. Deffo something I think is worth doing, same for French if you have a decent grasp of it. All y'need to do is answer those question sixes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Afaik you need to do all exams in Irish, not just Maths

Yeah I heard that too.....that you can't just do some subjects through Irish and some through English, it's one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I'm pretty sure you don't have to do them all in Irish. Why would they offer you the option otherwise? It's not as if it's all the same examiner either *shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I have to disagree with Daggy: I've done my whole schooling through Irish and I don't find maths any more difficult because it's in Irish. I mean, it's practically simple compared to the sciences, when the book is through english and you're trying to translate everything for your notes.

I gotta admit though, I did get the english paper today as well as the irish one. Mainly cos sometimes the Roinn likes to use difficult, random words or just weird Irish.

And I know for a fact that doing Maths through Irish hasn't damaged my ability to do maths, cos in fifth and sixth year I did App. Maths through English. It took me, oh about twenty minutes to figure out all the terminology (like urchomhaireach, taobhagain etc.) and then I was set. Proving that with just the tiniest bit of effort you can switch to maths in English. So not detrimental to any future degree or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Mark200 wrote: »
    Yeah I heard that too.....that you can't just do some subjects through Irish and some through English, it's one or the other.

Nah, a couple of people in my year are doing Biology through English (I go to an all-Irish school). To get any of the irish scholarships tho, you need all your subjects in Irish to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

Bonus marks at the rate of 5 per cent will be given to a candidate who obtains less than 75 per cent of the total marks in the case of the following subjects:- French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Accounting, Engineering, Construction Studies, Materials Technology (Wood), Metalwork, Technology, Typewriting, Russian, Japanese.

Does this mean that you'd get a higher mark if you got 74 than if you got 75 or 76?

Nah, there's a sliding scale of extra marks after 75%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

QUOTE]
    Teac agus Trialacha I bet:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I found Téacs agus Trialacha to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I knew JC 2K3 would show up eventually! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

janeybabe wrote: »
    I thought it was 5% of what you didn't get? That's what it was when I was in school anyway. Didn't make a difference to me, my marks were too high for it so count.

That's an interesting way of phrasing it!

(And congratulations on your A1 - which I presume is what you got, since that's the only way your marks could have been too high for it to count.)

As pointed out earlier, there's a sliding scale above 75%, but the net effect is:
    • if you get less than or equal to 75%, you get 5% of the marks you scored;
    • if you get more than 75%, you get 15% of the marks you didn't score!
    And, by the way, not only do you not have to do them all through Irish, you can even do one maths paper through Irish and not the other, so it's not too late folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

(And congratulations on your A1 - which I presume is what you got, since that's the only way your marks could have been too high for it to count.)

As pointed out earlier, there's a sliding scale above 75%, but the net effect is:
    • if you get less than or equal to 75%, you get 5% of the marks you scored;
    • if you get more than 75%, you get 15% of the marks you didn't score!
    And, by the way, not only do you not have to do them all through Irish, you can even do one maths paper through Irish and not the other, so it's not too late folks...

I did indeed get an A1, although it was Ordinary Level! I adored OL Maths!

And thanks for explaining it because, although it doesn't make a difference to me as I did my LC 4 years ago, I always wanted to know what the system was.

Advertisement