Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2 HL

Options
  • 06-06-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Maths Paper 2 Monday..are yee are ready for it?
    and does anyone know what theorems MIGHT come up this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Haven't a clue.I probably will go down to pass for leaving.I did alright in paper 1 (60%) in that paper.I suck at paper 2.Good luck to everybody though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

My teacher guaranteed us that it be either 3,5,6 or 8 this year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 hardcorev1bes

ah sweet ..thanks man :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭echoindia756

My teacher guaranteed us that it be either 3,5,6 or 8 this year ;)

You said 3,4,6 and 8 yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Any advice from the teachers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

what are 3 ,4 6 and 8. my teacher didnt give them any numbers?!

is it 3 , 5 , 6 and 8 .......or 3, 4 ,6 and 8 that your teacher said would come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

aingel: the theorems are:

1. Vertically opposite angles are equal in measure.
    2. The measures of the three angles in a triangle sum to 180.
    3. An exterior angle of a triangle equals the sum of the two interior opposite angles in measure.
    4. If two sides of a triangle are equal in measure, then the angles opposite these sides are equal in measure.
    5. Opposite sides and opposite angles of a parallelogram are respectively equal in measure.
    6. A giagonal bisects the area of a parallelogram.
    7. The measure of the angle at the centre of a circle is twice the measure of the angle at the circumference, standing on the same arc.
    8. A line through the centre of a circle perpendicular to a chord bisects the chord.
    9. If two triangles are equiangular, the lengths of the corresponding sides are in proportion.
    10. In a right-angled triangle, the square of the length of the side opposite to the right angle is equal to the sum of the squares of the length of the other two sides.

^^ thank you! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Maths paper one was easy enuff at first and flew thru 1 and to apart from 1(c)(ii) but then i crashed and burned going into the rest :S
    Got the graph though and the things i was hoping wud come up didnt :S eg indices sets :S
    anyway im gunna have 2 study hard for paper two if i want a b or c :S
    i find paper 2 hard aswell btw and im more worried about the graphing formulas eg slope and stuff than the theorums :S
    Id say good luck but luck has nothing to do with it so ill say "hope ur study pays off" :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

conorod wrote: »
    Don't know why nobody said this one yet, I don't think it ever cam up and the course is changing VERY soon-they're making the bloody thing easer when we are done with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lorthas

darragh-k wrote: »
    Don't know why nobody said this one yet, I don't think it ever cam up and the course is changing VERY soon-they're making the bloody thing easer when we are done with it!
    I don't wanna sound pretentious, but I like the level of difficulty that it is now.... from what I've heard, maths gets alot more difficult going into leaving cert, so if you've got a big gap in difficulty levels between the junior and leaving cert, its just gonna cause more problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Reckle

darragh-k wrote: »

that 3 angles add up to 180 theorem came up on my mocks thank god because twas the only one i knew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

conorod wrote: »
    aingel: the theorems are:

1. Vertically opposite angles are equal in measure.
    3. An exterior angle of a triangle equals the sum of the two interior opposite angles in measure.
    4. If two sides of a triangle are equal in measure, then the angles opposite these sides are equal in measure.
    5. Opposite sides and opposite angles of a parallelogram are respectively equal in measure.
    6. A diagonal bisects the area of a parallelogram.
    7. The measure of the angle at the centre of a circle is twice the measure of the angle at the circumference, standing on the same arc.
    8. A line through the centre of a circle perpendicular to a chord bisects the chord.
    9. If two triangles are equiangular, the lengths of the corresponding sides are in proportion.
    10. In a right-angled triangle, the square of the length of the side opposite to the right angle is equal to the sum of the squares of the length of the other two sides.

Nice piece of work here. I just corrected the spelling of diagonal in 6.

Just wondering what's the preferred proof for 10?

also what wording do u have for 9 about the line that is // to one side ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Lorthas wrote: »
    I don't wanna sound pretentious, but I like the level of difficulty that it is now.... from what I've heard, maths gets alot more difficult going into leaving cert, so if you've got a big gap in difficulty levels between the junior and leaving cert, its just gonna cause more problems

Ya, there is that side of it too I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

You said 3,4,6 and 8 yesterday!

Sorry you're right! But just take a look at the past papers and youll realise they probably will be the ones that come up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 t-mobile1892

Our teacher didnt even cover the pythagoras or isosceles trianglle or parrallelogram theorems cos hes CONVINCED they wont come up :rolleyes: but i reckon some theorem about the circle will come up.... im studyin hard 4 paper 2 cos i messed up paper 1 nd i need agood grade in maths 4 the subjects im doin nxt year...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

hopefully it will be like the past years. I was looking at my exam papers yesterday and could answer everything I saw without help. Don't see why people think it's so hard, seems easy enough to me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

main thing i'm worried bout is the theorams. Other than that it should be do-able :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

The preferred proof for 10 is drawing a large square of (a+b)^2 with four right angled triangles (abc)

Doing this makes a smaller square, which is made up of four hypotenuses and is called c^2

So (a+b)^2 - 4(.5ab) = c^2
    Therefore a^2 + b^2 = c^2

This is what the diagram would look like
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Pythagproof.svg
    Pythagproof.svg

by unit circle you mean the circle split into quarters with sin cos tan and all in it? If thats what your on about i.ve a weird but useful way to remember it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭lolipops

A friend of mine's teacher garunteed them that the pythagora's theorem was coming up.. i wonder if they have someone on the inside :rolleyes:

which is the preffered way to proof it?
    i wasnt sure, we did both, the one with the three triangles and the one with the square in the centre.. i dont understand either so its not like it matters anyway!

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    Yep! Iv totally forgotten everything about it and the revise wise is no help!

I just start in the top right quarter and go clockwise All Coconuts Turn Sour. So in the top right corner all are positive, in the next one cos is positive, the next tan is positive and the last sin is positive! Its easy enough then to say 180 minus or 180 plus.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 t-mobile1892

lolipops wrote: »
    A friend of mine's teacher garunteed them that the pythagora's theorem was coming up.. i wonder if they have someone on the inside :rolleyes:

which is the preffered way to proof it?
    i wasnt sure, we did both, the one with the three triangles and the one with the square in the centre.. i dont understand either so its not like it matters anyway!

Our class didnt even cover that theorem cos our teacher is CONVINCED it wont come up....:rolleyes:

Advertisement