Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linux question??

Options
  • 06-06-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

i have a spare p4 pc at home and have a large collection of music and was wondering does linux pick up sound cards when booting from a cd as this would save me buying a windows license..as i would only use it for music...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

As long as its not a Creative you should be fine. Is it onboard or a card? Which soundcard exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Even some creative cards are ok. I've a SoundBlaster Live with the EMU10K1 chipset - works fine. Later ones like the Audigy etc will have problems tho.

[edit]Boot off the Live CD and see if it works. That won't make any changes to your system and is a valid test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But then again, Creative soundcards don't support Vista either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try booting knoppix or similar from a boot cd and see if it works?

If not then post the details of the card here.

Advertisement