Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to Malahide -"Rolling, rolling - keep them doggies Malahide"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Alright,

What would be the most efficient scenic route to Malahide from Dublin city centre by rothar.

Out the coast. Left at Sutton Cross or earlier at Baldoyle, then through Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 for Morgan's route, the direct road is shorter but certainly not scenic.

blorg wrote: »
    +1 for Morgan's route, the direct road is shorter but certainly not scenic.

Ahem! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ha, sorry about that, that's what I get when I'm replying to two threads at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Ahem.
    I don't even know where Malahide is.

• Advertisement

Morgan wrote: »
    Ahem.
    I don't even know where Malahide is.

It's easy to get to, you just go "out the coast. Left at Sutton Cross or earlier at Baldoyle, then through Portmarnock."

Oh yeah :cool:... I'll get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

There is a nice section if you go the Malahide Road route - namely, Balgriggin and Kinsealy - but you have to go through various concrete jungles such as Artane, Coolock and Darndale to get there. So in general what Raam says is true: the coastal route is much nicer.

To take the coastal route, leave the city on the North Strand Road, passing the Five Lamps. Continue over Annesley Bridge into Fairview and go straight through at the fork (rather than turning left towards Donnycarney). There's reasonably good bike path most of the way from Clontarf to Sutton Cross (or the turn off for Baldoyle, if you want to shorten the journey a bit). Follow the coastal road all the way from Baldoyle to Malahide, making sure you turn right at the roundabout just before Portmarnock village.

It's a nice scenic route, although the road is a bit narrow in places between Baldoyle and Malahide, and what bike lanes there are there are a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

put a peg on your nose if you're going at low tide though. It's a nice cycle, till you hit malahide itself. I find it's always traffic congested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jetpropellednun

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Anybody know or see the dude that patrols Malahide on his bike with a giant spike sticking out of his handlebars!!???:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

That's Johnny Beeb Beeb - that's what I've always heard him called anyway. He cycles around the village most weekend afternoons, with his flag and earphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

why does he do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Go straight on past Clontarf dart station, down along the coast by Sutton then turn left down past Baldoyle village along the estuary towards Portmarnock village then keep going along the beach until you hit malahide! I don't cycle but I love going along that route in cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    That's Johnny Beeb Beeb - that's what I've always heard him called anyway. He cycles around the village most weekend afternoons, with his flag and earphones.

Ahh the man himself....the world wouldn't be the same without him!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There used to be a guy who was always around Clondalkin like that. Wonder did he move? The guy I'm thinking of used to wear combats and army surplus type gear a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

violator13 wrote: »
    on his bike with a giant spike sticking out of his handlebars!!???:)

WTF is the giant spike for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Apparently he says 'beep beep', hence the name. Or so my GF says anyway, and she's from out that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

Ahem. I think you'll find it's Johnny Beep Beep in reference to the sound he makes as he patrols. He was at it 20 years ago when I was in school. He must well into his 40s by now.

Johnny has been cycling out there for years. I used to see him all the time when I was a kid and I still see him now! He also used to use a metal plated wheel as a steering wheel and pretend he was driving a car while walking. He gave out yards to my dad one day for nicking his parking spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Don't forget the stretch between Baldoyle and Portmarnock is world renowned as a place where tax-dodging cyclists delay hard pressed motorists from getting to the next tail back.

Also if you want to go a bit further you can cycle round the estuary to Donabate, google maps shows a break in the road, but in fact it just gets covered at high tide. Even then you can carry your bike a few hundred yards along a path.

See:

http://tinyurl.com/malahideestuary

• Advertisement

It's lovely around the estuary, I take that route every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Well that clears that issue up!! Well Mr BEEP BEEP makes me laugh thats for sure. I wonder has he spiked anybody with his big Spike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Raam wrote: »
    It's lovely around the estuary, I take that route every now and then.

Good track for running there too, though yet to be up that way on the bike.

Advertisement