Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hated chemistry!

Options
  • 06-06-2008 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

:mad: I hated the chemistry paper... How did eveyone else find it???? I made some really stupid mistakes though! Like in the second question when it asked what substance was obtained in steam distillation... i said clove oil, realised later that they wanted Eugenol! I read in the paper today that people were very happy with the chemistry paper this year!!!! Made me want to cry:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

amen... i actually cried half of the evening yday because of it :( ah.. still very sad about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Me three... well, I didn't actually cry, but I was in a terrible mood all yesterady evening as a result. I mean, it's probably the worst Chemistry exam I've ever done.

*sob*

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

i feel your pain! in the middle of the exam i just felt like crying.:(
    if i pass it ill be a miracle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

Dont feel too bad
    The paper is marked fairly!
    Things might turn out better than what ye thought!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

I found chemisrty a reasonably nice paper, as opposed to the other years it really tested the skill of the student, the students could still make those same stupid mistakes but they weren't as colossal as previous years, probably my best result so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

When I looked at it first I thought it'd be really hard but it was pretty manageable altogether. A bit weird, more like a mock paper I thought and kinda all over the place but it wasn't too bad. Not sure if I'll count it but meh, it was okay. It could've been a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clairehere

Finally!other people who found it hard too!I feel so bad about chemistry I basically needed an A and I'd say I got a C.Totally ruined my chances for gettin my first choice!Ah well.....:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Thank god!! I was on the other board and it was so depressing. Everyone was live " yeah, defintely b3 minimum!" A B3 is what I need but I'm afraid to say I will most likely be repeating next year and all because of Chemistry!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

I don't see why they shouldn't accept clove oil as an answer: the question said 'substance' rather than 'compound' or 'chemical'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 squishywelly

the paper was grand just a few wierdly out questions which were pretty easy if u looked at em!and a few questions that were easy to make stupid mistakes on!
    all in all im pretty happy cos i was betting on a fail and id say i got a c1 or b3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tute08

Thanks guys! Was talking to my grinds teacher today he agreed it was a bit of a wierd layout with some "funny" questions! So i feel a good bit better! Needed an A but thats out of the question now! Oh well need to ace the rest of them! Good luck!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IHATECHEMISTRY

Finallllly, someone else!
    Thought the paper was attrocious, forgot my ruler, pencil AND calculator. :( So was a mess before i even begun, literallly had about five nervous breakdowns during it. Got the butene question by total accident, so yay 3 percent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SmellySockies.

It was yucky!!! I hope I got at least 40%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 V.I.Princess

Totally agree dat paper was disgustin..Did ne1 els tink d paper lookd odd.Lyk it was very unlike past yrs..Different lay out yes! It was jst awful I thought..Nd dey'd wanna accept clove oil...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 SmellySockies.

I didnt say clove oil because we were all talking about that experiment before I entered the exam hall. But like we didnt get asked any picture questions in part 4???? I knew them all so well ;[ Robert Boyle with his judge hair ;[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

I thought it was horrible. They seem to be testing the actually understanding of the course as opposed to just learning it - if you know what I mean? Like the ionic addition Q seemed a bit bizarre to me. I was hoping for a B and now it'll probably just be a pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

if the questions weren't answered very well by students round the country they allow for that in the marking though, don't they? What was different about it?
    Questions that you thought would come up didn't or a completely different type of paper! I'm doing chemistry next year and don't like what i'm hearing here!! The course didn't change did it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Yeah there's this thing called the bell curve. If a substantial amount of people are failing the paper and only a small amount are passing they have to adjust the marking scheme. They have to have around the same number of passes and fails...a1s, b1s etc. every year.

All of ye are honours chem I assume. Dropped from honours to pass on the day. Finished the exam in one hour. Spent another colouring in everything. Twas a breeze. A flame test, ethanoic acid AND a titration for the experiments. Best.exam.ever.

Advertisement