Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How di I put a password on my wireless router-URGENT

Options
  • 06-06-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    I had a technician out from ntl the other day fixing my broadband and Ive just noticed he has disabled the password on my wireless router therefore my internet access is free to anyone(idiot) How do I put a password on it to make it secure again, It always had a password so Im a bit uneasy about having it unsecured
    Can anyone help me out please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Make/model of wireless router??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

Netgear WGR614

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you don't know the ip address then run ipconfig in a command window and the gateway address is it.

you'll be able to change the password then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moving to Wireless from Broadband

Ive tried to run ipconfig but the window just pops up and disappears in a second so I cant read my ip address from it

Edit Im in now (forgot to type cmd )

Now when I try to log in to my ip address Its saying the server is asking for a username and password?????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

caoimhemo wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I had a technician out from ntl the other day fixing my broadband and Ive just noticed he has disabled the password on my wireless router therefore my internet access is free to anyone(idiot) How do I put a password on it to make it secure again, It always had a password so Im a bit uneasy about having it unsecured
    Can anyone help me out please

If you browse wireless networks does yours have padlock on it ?
    The password may only be for the admin interface which means people still cannot access your network.

Nope thats how i noticed , its showing up as an unsecured network and I didnt have to type the password to connect to it on my phone or my laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Nope thats how i noticed , its showing up as an unsecured network and I didnt have to type the password to connect to it on my phone or my laptop

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/aptnet/netgear/index.html

craichoe wrote: »

I tried that already , when I type in my ip address its saying the server is requesting a username and password to get in to my router , but I have no idea what they are
    I have tried the old ones to no avail

Ok im in now
    What type of security should I use

WEP
    WPA-PSK [TKIP]
    WPA2-PSK [AES]
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

• Advertisement

I think someone might be using my internet connection as my media player keeps asking me do I want to share my library and my laptop is not on
    How can I find out if anyone is piggybacking on my router???

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

Finding piggy backers is hard. Just change the security key offen

If the problem goes away straight after changing the key then maybe there is somone cracking it

However if you use WPA-PSK you should be ok there is quite an amount of work to crack one of those keys just make sure you selecting good strong alphanumeric passwords and you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

On my Netgear, to see who's connected to your router, open up the admin page (http://192.168.0.1 by default on Netgears) and click on 'Attached Devices' under Maintenance.

ethernet wrote: »
    On my Netgear, to see who's connected to your router, open up the admin page (http://192.168.0.1 by default on Netgears) and click on 'Attached Devices' under Maintenance.

Ok here's mine
    Attached Devices

# IP Address Device Name MAC Address1192.168.1.2--00:13:20:d1:7e:652192.168.1.4HOME00:19:7e:23:16:42

What does this mean?

What do you yourself have at home connected

Games consoles PCs laptops etc.

Not just wireless items either wired to

I have a Laptop, ps3 and phone(n95) but none of them are on at the moment

I also have an external hard drive but that just connects to the computer via usb

That would seem ok then because you do have more then one divice

The fact that there off dosent mean they wont appear in the netgear. I am not sure why but that list is not always up to date it sometimes rembers divices long after they have disconnected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ok here's mine
    Attached Devices

# IP Address Device Name MAC Address1192.168.1.2--00:13:20:d1:7e:652192.168.1.4HOME00:19:7e:23:16:42

What does this mean?

It's showing you have 1 device connected to the router, using IP 192.168.1.2. I'm assuming this is your PC, as you need at least one connection to view the router settings. If your PC is 192.168.1.2 then that's all fine.

Keep an eye on the connection stats when you suspect someone might be using it. Use WPA2 with a good, long, random character string as a password. Generate on using this.

Media player asking you to share your library probably doesn't mean it can detect other users, it probably just asks as it's capable of doing it. Maybe go into settings and see if you can disable this option.

I have put a new password on using the security that was reccomended so Ill keep an eye on it when I think its being used,
    Thank for all your help I really appreciate it

Advertisement