Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel query

Options
  • 06-06-2008 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi All,

I am trying to compare 2 columns in a spreadsheet to find if the entry in 1 column is also in the second column . I have tried using the Vlookup function and can not get this to work. the formula is below. and here are the the header line and the first line from the spreadsheet. there are over 1,000 lines on the spreadsheet and I need to see if the number in the article column is also in the gift item column

Any help would gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

=vlookup(A2,Article,1,"TEXT") Article Page Product gift item Discontinued list
    1100204 25 4 in 1 metal ball pen, blue and red refill, pencil and rubber 1101803 1153303 #VALUE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

are you missing the TRUE or FALSE bit at the end of vlookup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 andyell

I have tried various endings to the formula, if i enter a value aargument (1 or 0) it returns the number from the first column

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

i think you need to use a combination of 2 formulas.

the if..... and the vlookup....

so try smtg like this in column H:

(supposingly your columns are B the one with the articles, D the one with the gift and H the one where the results will be)

=IF(VLOOKUP(D3,B:B,1,FALSE)=D3,"TRUE","FALSE")

the results will be: TRUE for those items that exist in both columns, or #N/A if not...

does this help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 andyell

Perfect thanks very much I can stop pulling my hair out now

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

glad it worked

its friday, go out for pints now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement