Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedometer or similar lightweight item for measuring distances walked.

Options
  • 06-06-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Herself and a few others are taking a trip to do part of the Camino in North Spain [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_St._James ]
    next month and they are looking for a light pedometer or similar.

I have a few GPS units but they are
    too heavy, short battery life, poor screen viewing in sun etc.

I would welcome any suggestions and where in Dublin I might get one.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Someone I walk with has one by Silva (Swedish company better known for its compasses) that attaches to her walking pole. Have a look on www.silva.se under both pedometers and walking poles to see what they have (quite a selection!). I'd imagine the Great Outdoors would be the best bet. If she's out tomorrow I'll ask her where she got hers.

I've no idea how accurate they are in real world situations though. I can imagine that if you were walking on fairly level ground at a reasonably constant speed that they'd give you a pretty good indication of distance travelled, but on a bog-hopping trek across the Wicklow Mountains it'd be next to useless. They're quite popular amongst the 'power walkers' and nordic walking enthusiasts, but mainly I think to get an idea of calories burnt by relating that to the number of steps taken rather than as a distance measure.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Will navigation not tell you how far you have traveled? Using a map and a compass you should be able to nail down your distance walked much more accurately then a pedometer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

cavedave wrote: »
    Will navigation not tell you how far you have traveled? Using a map and a compass you should be able to nail down your distance walked much more accurately then a pedometer.

With reference to my very specific post, this reply must be a serious contender for the most irrelevant in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

With reference to my very specific post, this reply must be a serious contender for the most irrelevant in 2008.

Sorry for bothering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can you provide any more details? e.g. how long will they walk for every day?
    Can they recharge a unit at night?

I used to have a Garmin Quest with a 20 hour battery life, that you could slip into a pocket and use an external antennae. Second hand Quests go for very cheap on the second hand market (and also do mapping/routing).

At the moment I'm running with a Garmin Forerunner 405, which is a wrist based GPS receiver, but only has an 8 hour battery life. Very portable, but battery life probably isn't up to the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement