Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today, 64 years ago - D-Day

Options
  • 06-06-2008 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

I don't see it mentioned anywhere else here, so just reminding everyone that the allied assault on the beaches of Normandy began approximately 4 hours (and 64 years) ago.
    Surviving veterans will now be in their 80s or thereabouts; anybody know any of them?

Mightn't be a bad day to re-watch the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

It is one of my ambitions to take my son (7) to Normandy for a D-Day anniversary while there are still some veterans still alive, I would love him to meet some of the people who were actually there, I think it would stand to him for the rest of his life.
    Someday!
    Isint it good to see that on one of the most historic days in modern history that the UKTV History channel has a nice mix of Antiques roadshow and The History of britain on for the morning, good programme planning. Damm freeview channels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dam you beat me to it was just gonna make a thread about this too :D,may god be good to all the allied soldiers that lost there lifes that day in what was the begining of the end for the 3rd reich and hilter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

They shall grow not old,
    As we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them,
    Nor the years condemn,
    At the going down of the sun
    And in the morning
    We will remember them.

RIP and thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Rest In Peace

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

About how many allied and axis vetrans are left alive today,anybody know? would love to meet one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Surely the German soilders that died deserve a prayer aswell. Most Germans were not die hard nazis who committed attrocities, they were teachers, bakers, milkmen, brothers, fathers and sons just like the allies, they had to follow the orders of conscription.
    A good quote I heard today in GTA IV:
    "War is what happens when old men convince young men to kill each other"
    That might not be word for word, but the general idea is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!
    You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
    striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The
    hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.
    In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
    other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
    machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of
    Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well
    equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of
    1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,
    in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their
    strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home
    Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions
    of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.
    The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to
    Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in
    battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great
    and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

One of the greatest speeches every delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There were some nice low key rememberance ceremonies where I live. Lots of elderly folk who must have lived through it. Flags, bugles, moments of quiteness. The anger has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ok,not exactly on topic,but i was in Arnhem for the 60th anniversary of market garden,and i visited the graveyards in oosterbeek,it was an extremely sobering experience to see all the graves lined up in rows and the ages of some of the soldiers,most in their mid twenties, and some just teenagers.
    I know the soldiers on D-Day would have been the same ages, it seems such a waste of life when you see the graves in front of you. I must get to normandy to see the beaches for myself and also visit the Normandy american cemetary,which is a size of some 172.5 acres,and has 9,387 burials of US service men and women. Of this number, some 307 are unknowns, three are Medal of Honour winners and four are women. In addition there are 33 pairs of brothers buried side by side. It is the largest American Cemetery from WW2. Nearly 10.000 people,sheer madness.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Been to the beaches and visited the military graveyards, I was only a kid when I was there but its not something I will ever forgot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

440Hz wrote: »
    Been to the beaches and visited the military graveyards, I was only a kid when I was there but its not something I will ever forgot.
    Yes..it makes you think....:(

Advertisement