Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - locks on door. Would landlord change?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Moved into a nice top floor apartment.
    Place is well kept and 5 years old - gated etc..
    Each apt door only is locked by one lock at the handle.
    There is no alarm in the place.

As such, do you think we should ask the landlord for the locks to be changed?
    I'm about to get the my contents insured, but who knows if the previous tenant cut a few copes of the keys?
    Kinda annoyed I overlooked this before signing the lease.

What's the norm here? Do people just leave it and think that it'd never happen?
    Am I being paranoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It'd probably never happen, but if you are nervous about previous tenants having copies of keys, just talk to the landlord about it.

He may agree to change the lock or add an additional one, he may suggest you go halves on it with him or he may tell you to do it yourself and give him a copy of the keys - it shouldn't be much of an issue either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Do you have a communal door for the block, as well as the door for the apartment. Generally speaking, the outer door are special keys that extra copies can only be got from the Management Company, as locksmiths won't copy them. I don't think the landlord would change the locks, but you could ask for a chubb lock to be added on instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It'd probably never happen, but if you are nervous about previous tenants having copies of keys, just talk to the landlord about it.

He may agree to change the lock or add an additional one, he may suggest you go halves on it with him or he may tell you to do it yourself and give him a copy of the keys - it shouldn't be much of an issue either way.
    Agreed.

Advertisement