Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50.ie bad at maths?

Options
  • 06-06-2008 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭

This image is directly from the m50.ie website
    16m5edt.jpg

So they are going from the current 4 lane dual carriageway to a six lane dual carriageway and doubling the capacity :confused:

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't dismiss it straight away.
    I'm sure they have some complex equation worked out by engineers that could show capacity was doubled. They do plan these things, right?

It's not as simple as just pointing out 4 lanes to 6 lanes.

I'm no engineer thought so I can't work it out but maybe double the capacity is possible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The M50 is over capacity at the moment. I think what they mean is that they are doubling the capacity for the current demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭green123

the section between the n4 and the n7 was 2 lanes each way
    now its 4 lanes each way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The toll booths and junctions were constricting the capacity of the M50 to a much greater degree than the road space. Traffic tended to back up from the toll booths and junctions, blocking up the entire road. How often did it happen that there were miles of tailbacks up to the toll booths or up to a particular junction only to find an empty road once you passed that point.
    The toll booths are been replaced with free flow tolling and the junctions with free flow junctions. I think it's fair to say that there will be a doubling of capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It used to be 4 lanes, but no-one would be seen dead in the "slow" lane, so it was one lane plus one empty losers lane. Now it will be two outside lanes and an empty losers lane, hence the capacity is doubled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement