Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get this for my DAD??

Options
  • 06-06-2008 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, my dad is thinking for getting a computer.Hes nearly 60 , so I am delighted for hiom.Do you think this is good value for €300, its second hand??
    thanks,
    cathy

dell dimension DIMC521
    AMD 64 Processor 3500+
    2.20 GHz 960 MB ram
    18 " montior

It has office which he wants for ..I dont know he just wants it.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

do you know anything else about the specs?

how oldis it?

for not much more money (50eur) you could get a new machine with good specification, which will come with full waranty, (for a little more again could get a new laptop) especially if you bought online via the UK/ the north with the weakened pound;

about the components mentioned,
    the processor is AMD and recenty Intel have been making 'better' components, and it looks like the machine may have came with less ram and more has been retrofitted, but for low usage this shouldntt really be a concern (although I would prefer 1gb+ if buying new, especially if windows vista is involved!)

km

edit: I forgot to mention that those prices exclude office; some companies will offer it for under 50 when bought with a machine OR I would highly recomend trying Open Office (the free, open source version) before buying the MS version, the only problem here may be if your dad goes on to do ECDL or some other course where the use a specific version of office;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

thanks for the reply.I think I will hold off on this so.He cant use a laptop and would need larger keys keyboard.any links to the sites mentioned above would be great.Thanks for the help.
    cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

watch here and buy a new one from dells outlet on ebay http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet standard €30 delivery and 1 year warranty or alternatively www.dell.ie/do

if its a desktop u buy u can get cheap monitors for it here on this Irish site http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4S41

ordered together .. 5 working days for delivery is my experience

yep, there are plenty of places,
    one place I bought from recently is laptopsdirect.co.uk (they also do desktops - but note most desktops are quoted without a monitor, I think their cheapest monitor is arount 120stg)
    there are loads of sites (generally ignore the big chains like pc world, currys, harvey norman etc, way too expensive although sometimes they may have good offers, but always check out with someone if you are in any way unsure as this is rare). also check out uk equivalents of irish sites like dabs, komplette etc other companies also exist, bt check them out if not sure. usually when I am looking at a new machine and have not bought for a while I will start off buy buying a large uk pc mag like computer shopper, usually filled with ads for various companies, and this will give you an idea of what spec you can get for what budget.

final note tho', although buying new will give you a waranty and with a bit of trawling there are deals to be had, remember that buying form the uk means you will probably need to pay to ship back to the uk in the event of any problems.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Dont forget if you go to the likes of Dell you can get additional reductions by using E-Value codes ( look for codes on adverts ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

tyhanks, am searching now.
    cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

www.dell.ie/do is €80 off and free shipping this weekend

any luck?

Advertisement