Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat help???

Options
  • 06-06-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me with wild cat... .he's seriously crazy. He wonders a lot which I don't mind too much coz he always finds his way back, but at the moment he hasn't been wandering, staying close to home but when he's in the house he's wild, running around,jumping on things and generally going nuts. I've tried running around the garden with him getting him to chase his toys in an effort to tire him out but that hasn't worked.... he just wants more. He is neutered by the way and he's about a year and half old (he was a stray so I'm not 100% of his age)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hello there. This sounds like a standard case
    of 'mad cat' :pac: One of my mogs was born a
    feral cat and has the greater tendency to go
    absolutely berserk the odd time when he's inside.
    I've never found a cure for it, though it has given
    me plenty of laughs. Maybe your mog has
    encountered some local feline enemy recently
    and wants to stay closer to home, with his
    pent up energy and a bit of anxiety driving
    the madness? If he seems to not be acting as
    usual in other ways when he's calm I would
    consult a vet, the usual stuff.

HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Have you given the usual treatments for fleas and worms? If he has a parasite of some kind annoying him, it could be part of the jumping around thing.

Does he do this all the time? Or just at certain times of the day? My cats get the crazies for about 20 min every night at about 9.30! But if your guy is doing it all the time, it might be something more serious than just pent up energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

you can get a thing in the vets, its like a plug in air freshner but its for the cat its supposed to calm them down if their upset. I think its called Feliway. Supposed to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hi, VV - May I make a suggestion?

Try really mellowing out with your cat, having a calm, quiet, Zen-like atmosphere around him.

If you're racing around trying to tire him out, he's liable to say, "Oh, shít, there's something seriously awry, let's race around and solve it".

But if you keep a Big Lebowski vibe going, he may race around for a bit, but he's going to calm down faster.

And when he does calm down, give him a treat - in a quiet, gentle way.

Advertisement