Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish HL

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

What are people studying for paper 2??
    they're is a high possibility of me crying when i open that paper on Tuesday!
    this is a ridiculous syllabus considering they're trying to keep the language alive!
    this is not the syllabus to use as they are achieving the exact opposite it just turns students off the subject!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I have to agree. Even if the Irish exam was written in English and could be answered in English it would be harder than English. We have to remember the history of Irish, Poetry, a novel, an oral, essays, aural, comprehensions and it is one of the longest exams on the course.

It really, really needs some revision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I agree its ridiculous, and I have business straight after Irish. One of these subjects is going to have to suffer I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I have to agree. Even if the Irish exam was written in English and could be answered in English it would be harder than English. We have to remember the history of Irish, Poetry, a novel, an oral, essays, aural, comprehensions and it is one of the longest exams on the course.

It really, really needs some revision.

Okay, I mainly agree, but just a few points. The poetry is on the paper and, in all fairness, not impossibly difficult. The novel is difficult but the level of knowledge needed is NOTHING like in English. I mean, know the story and the characters' names and you're grand. History of Irish, I definitely agree, should be gone... or at least halved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 born2run

I'm studying Dán do Mhelissa, An Mhathair, Oíche Nollaig na mBan and Dá mB'fheidir arís dár gcumann for the honours poetry and winging the pass poetry! And stair?? I havent even looked at it! An Triail is ok cos you can just go on bout hypocrisy and I hate the prose part...

I think paper one is worse. They really annihilate you for grammar and spelling in the essay - its worth like 80% of it! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

OMG.. I am sooo nervous for Irish.. Its so hard, Theres just so much you have to know.. :eek: and then maths paper 2 the same day.. ARG.. It makes me weak even thinking about it.. Im not going to come out of the house for the whole weekend..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Folks, when you think about it....

The poem is on front of you.
    Learn how to answer poetry in general.

*Fitting use of language,
    *Theme
    *Contrast
    *Strong Imagery
    *plenty of things I forget

theres so much you can apply to any poem on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 born2run

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Folks, when you think about it....

The poem is on front of you.
    Learn how to answer poetry in general.

*Fitting use of language,
    *Theme
    *Contrast
    *Strong Imagery
    *plenty of things I forget

theres so much you can apply to any poem on the day.

Agreed - íomhánna eifeachtach was the best phrase I ever learned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

im thinking of dropping down..
    i dunno wat to do tho...any advice?

i tink my oral went pretty well but i just havent studied enough and ders so much

i failed my mock...36%

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

It all well and grand to say the poem is in front of you and you can apply anything to it etc...

That's fine if you know what every poem on the course is about and have the irish to talk about it competently. Some of us do not :D.... me :(

At this stage i think i'm only going to learn social stuff for An Triail and dramatic techniques, gonna leave the characters out.

Anyone have any ideas on Clare sa Spéir? :(

Stair na Gaeilge - ugh that can go die.

Everything else think i'm just going to wing it and focus on having a really good essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

im thinking of dropping down too jessie...

i got 52% or sumit in the mocks, REALLY happy with it considering i dont know a thing. but then my irish teacher was a little suspicous of my result (i hardly ever get over 50% in her essays,and thats WITH a dictionary) and she checked it and said i should have failed (sweet, aint she?!), because alot of my comprehension answers should have got lower marks than i did.
    i havent opened a book for irish since the mocks(yes i know, no need to tell me im an idiot, i already know) but i wont count it in my results (if i pass physics that is) and i dont need it for my college course. so should i drop?

is it kinda too late, because i dont have a clue of the lay out of the ordinary level paper, would i have to study letters or post cards?
    plus what are the chances of me gettin an A in the paper?

.....jeez now im tinking i shouldnt drop...but its just i have soo much to study this weekend, art history, biology, french, maths p2, if i add higher level irish onto that i tink ill die, im stressed enuf as it is!

help peeps!
    xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

I know nothing for this. Haven't opened an Irish book in 3 months.

im thinking of dropping down too jessie...

i got 52% or sumit in the mocks, REALLY happy with it considering i dont know a thing. but then my irish teacher was a little suspicous of my result (i hardly ever get over 50% in her essays,and thats WITH a dictionary) and she checked it and said i should have failed (sweet, aint she?!), because alot of my comprehension answers should have got lower marks than i did.
    i havent opened a book for irish since the mocks(yes i know, no need to tell me im an idiot, i already know) but i wont count it in my results (if i pass physics that is) and i dont need it for my college course. so should i drop?

is it kinda too late, because i dont have a clue of the lay out of the ordinary level paper, would i have to study letters or post cards?
    plus what are the chances of me gettin an A in the paper?

.....jeez now im tinking i should drop...but its just i have soo much to study this weekend, art history, biology, french, maths p2, if i add higher level irish onto that i tink ill die, im stressed enuf as it is!

help peeps!
    xxx

thats what i was thinkin...did ur oral go well?
    iv never opened a book for irish...my listenin was really bad for my mock but my teacher said it was a really hard one.

i got business after paper 2 and id rather do better in that then try study irish and end up failing both:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FJH

Léan wrote: »
    It all well and grand to say the poem is in front of you and you can apply anything to it etc...

That's fine if you know what every poem on the course is about and have the irish to talk about it competently. Some of us do not :D.... me :(

At this stage i think i'm only going to learn social stuff for An Triail and dramatic techniques, gonna leave the characters out.

Anyone have any ideas on Clare sa Spéir? :(

Stair na Gaeilge - ugh that can go die.

Everything else think i'm just going to wing it and focus on having a really good essay.

When studying the poem read through the english version at the same time reading through the Irish version - noting things like nature/images etc. So when it comes up on the paper at least you know the stuff you need to talk about. Thats how I'm doing it anyway.

Haven't looked at Stair at all, probably just end up doing 2 or 3 topics and hoping for the best.

meh, oral went alllright, some kinda tricky questions, asked me about mobile phones and i just starred at her like "dont bloody ask me that!"
    im tinkin now, am i just takin the easy way out by dropping down, i mean i got 55 points in the mocks, could i just completly cram this weekend and be able to get 60 points, i mean i doubt id get an A on the ordinary paper, so id prob only get 50 points in that anyways....

ahh the stress of it all!!!!

and i know what u mean for the business thing. i havent looked at french since the mocks (got 74% in the mocks from cramming the night before so was happy with that) and id love to get 80-85% in that, but id have to really cram this weekend, plus i have nearly half of biology to learn, and art history, and maths paper2, so shud i drop irish, not worry about it and focus on my other subjects, or keep on higher level irish, study a lil bit and hope for the best....:(im confused...

i say just tink about it for awhile and den decide..

i got biology on thurs aswel but day off on wed so not 2 bad!
    wat u revisin for bio?

pretty much everyting. i did all of section 1 and 2 (i HATE all that dna crap!) im goin to have to focus on the systems tonight, which i hate, theres just so much info is those chapters. and theres a few more experiments i need to study also. shall be a fuuun weekend(!)
    i need to get good in biology tho, i got 70% in the mocks which i wasnt happy about and the way english went for me, im pretty much relying on biology!
    wat about urself?

pretty much everyting. i did all of section 1 and 2 (i HATE all that dna crap!) im goin to have to focus on the systems tonight, which i hate, theres just so much info is those chapters. and theres a few more experiments i need to study also. shall be a fuuun weekend(!)
    i need to get good in biology tho, i got 70% in the mocks which i wasnt happy about and the way english went for me, im pretty much relying on biology!
    wat about urself?

mainly dna,ecology,genetics,reproduction,photosynthesis...definate questions
    and the senses because it never been on the paper..

respiration aswel but i think its gonna be that experiment this year..was photosynthesis last year and gonna make sure i know osmosis experiment really well 2!

gonna mainly use revision book and notes tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 saywhaat

Jakkass wrote: »
    I agree its ridiculous, and I have business straight after Irish. One of these subjects is going to have to suffer I think.

+1

two extremly stressful exams on the same day...
    WHAT.A.JOKE
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I'm only doing hl Irish for primary teaching i'm not even good at it :(
    I realloy think I might fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Dunno where my essay's gonna come from!
    leamhtuiscint's are grand.
    poetry, stop complaining, if you've covered the subject and devices well, its easy, its on the paper. Granted, the prose and peig or w/e you're doing can be hard, but once you know names events etc its not that bad. Stair...meh
    It needs to be revised.
    Put the oral to at least 50%!! and take off prose and reduce paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Barrys-Tea

Does anyone do A thig na tit orm...? What are you studying for it..? There's so much to do!
    Ive heard theme of youth/drink in fiche blain ag fas & maybe a character or family life in Clare sa Speir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Something like 'Léirionn 'Clare sa Spéir' saol nua-aimseartha na clainne' for Clare sa Speir I'd say. They like asking about the family there.

Barrys-Tea wrote: »
    Does anyone do A thig na tit orm...? What are you studying for it..? There's so much to do!
    Ive heard theme of youth/drink in fiche blain ag fas & maybe a character or family life in Clare sa Speir

they usually ask about his life in school or england/america.
    its only 40 marks which i tink is stupid so wont need to go into great detail:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

I cant stand this exam, its about the only one im really worried about.

Im a fluent Irish speaker, live in the Donegal Gaeltacht & speak it everyday but the exam is just terrible. The oral was easy as ****, think I probably got full marks in it and the aurals are usually easy enough as well. Paper one is hard enough but I think I should be ok with it. This one is the problem but if I do ok in everything else I should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 NanoZoom555

is anybody else learning essays for paper 1 or 2??all ive done is learnt a sceal and im going to apply it on the day- not a great idea i know,but its a really good,descriptive story and has a lot of possible meanings.as for paper 2,i know 4pages on oiche nollaig na mban and thats it for the honours poetry,so if it doesnt come up im screwed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

Thats the one about yer man wanting to die in a storm isnt it? How could you possibly write 4 pages on it?!? Id be happy if I could write one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coolcailin

for a thig na thit orm we were told that there's three ways
    1-his childhood
    2-his time in England
    3-his time in America
    so no matter the ceist ya just focus in on one of the three....

our teacher drilled the poetry steps into our head and if ya follow them your bound t pick up a lot of marks...
    reference to the ceist,answer it,explain you answer and make a reference to the dan....

hope that helped.....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 NanoZoom555

Thats the one about yer man wanting to die in a storm isnt it? How could you possibly write 4 pages on it?!? Id be happy if I could write one!

ive learnt an essay that my teacher gave us,word for word,and it ends up being 4pages when you write it out,its just full of poetry techniques,the one on section on iomhanna and meafair is a bit over a page itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I cant stand this exam, its about the only one im really worried about.

Im a fluent Irish speaker, live in the Donegal Gaeltacht & speak it everyday but the exam is just terrible.

I think that quote is quite good evidence that there is something terribly wrong with the Irish paper.
    I know that in my school, the people who do the best probably won't be those with good ability to speak Irish and use the language, it'll be those that can learn things off word for word even without understanding any of it.
    It really is a joke. Despite only doing French for six years, I'm far more comfortable with it than with Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

nil aon ni is so not comin up on d pass poems!!

4 honour wud t b safe 2 jst learn dan do mhelissa da mbfheidir aris and oiche nollaig??

any tips for an triail haven looked at t yet or stair!?!

Advertisement