Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stealing at work

Options
  • 05-06-2008 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Money has been stolen from my bag in work. I wont go into too many details, but there is no doubt about it that someone in my job has stolen from me on more than one occasion. I dont know who, and the manager barely believed me or acted like he cared, or like he was shocked at all. So Im going to ring up tomorrow and say I can't work there anymore, knowing that someone im working with has been stealing from me. I get along with everyone too, which makes it worse that whoever it is is being so fake and ill never know for sure who it is!! My question is.. will I have difficulties now in getting my p45 and getting paid for my last few shifts? Do people think Im right to leave? It's a part time job in a well known restaurant, and Ive only been there for a couple of weeks. Will it look awful on my cv to have worked somewhere for such a short amount of time?? any opinions please...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

qwertyface wrote: »
    Money has been stolen from my bag in work. I wont go into too many details, but there is no doubt about it that someone in my job has stolen from me on more than one occasion. I dont know who, and the manager barely believed me or acted like he cared, or like he was shocked at all. So Im going to ring up tomorrow and say I can't work there anymore, knowing that someone im working with has been stealing from me. I get along with everyone too, which makes it worse that whoever it is is being so fake and ill never know for sure who it is!! My question is.. will I have difficulties now in getting my p45 and getting paid for my last few shifts? Do people think Im right to leave? It's a part time job in a well known restaurant, and Ive only been there for a couple of weeks. Will it look awful on my cv to have worked somewhere for such a short amount of time?? any opinions please...

you can't trust anyone, it's not going to be different anywhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Tails142

yeah stop leaving money in your bag, get a locker, if you have to remove cash from your person when working on the till for example insist that your manager minds it.

Why quit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

I have a full tim job lined up to start in a few weeks time so i'd be leaving soon anyway. This has just made me want to leave earlier than planned. I know this is something that happens sometimes in life, but I feel like because I was new they just think they can get away with stuff like that. The mannager has also, becuase Im new, done my cashing up for me and kept my tips for himself! Other staff members have since warned me that he does this. I just feel annoyed with the place in general. I don't see why I should keep working there when everyone in the place is so dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

As far as getting p45 etc , no there should be no issue.

I don't like the sound of that mgr , he kept the tips for himself , thats plain dishonest to me .

You are well out of there to be honest.

Of course stealing happens almost anywhere , but the mgr should have taken your complaint seriously, the fact he didn't is another indicator that he is either dishonest or useless , or both.

Is this a franchise type place , if you want to make things better for the people you leave behind maybe complain to the head office giving specifics , , however wait until you have recvd your paperwork/money .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Is there any law against putting the tips that you receive straight into your pocket rather than into the cash register?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Depends on if you are supposed to share with other staff i suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Similar situation happened to me a few years in part time restaurant job. Had gone into staff room to change. had brief chat with some people on break, left bag and phone on break table and went to loo to get changed. came back to find new phone gone and those that had been on break and some guy that had been in male dressing room.
    told mgt and they asked the 3/4 who had been in the room and they all denyed it.. surprise surprise. thankfully- i was taken seriously (as my last phone had been stolen by little knacker from behind the till the previous week!) and mgt checked all the lockers. they didnt find it and the guy who had been in changing room at time never returned to work. gather it was him but was never sure and didnt trust the others for duration of my time there.
    Our supervisor used to be a bit dodge over the tips.. but apart from asking what the procedure is with 'tipping out' to mgt/busboys there isn't much you can do. doubt there are laws about tipping as you probably aren't declaring it as taxable income.
    as for your CV- I wouldn't worry- sure just leave it off altogether. it's only a part time job... have lost count of the jobs i leave off my CV at this stage!
    P45 and paycheck.. there is the employees website that gives advice over all these matters. If they are reputable company then they won't risk not paying you. You may have issue over reference though if you give short notice.
    Just tell them you have to start new full time job earlier than expected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My advice to you would be to give your proper notice and leave on good terms. There is no reason whatsoever to quit on the spot.

TBH it sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

theft is theft is theft...illegal - A CRIME! If your boss won't do anything about it call the police to report it. End of story.

as for the other factors as someone else posted sounds like you are looking to justify leaving as not happy - if you are unhappy then find somewhere else. (after reporting the theft and making it official)

Advertisement