Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellespont Race

Options
  • 05-06-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Was just wondering if anyone has swam the Hellespont race from Turkey to Greece or do you know anyone that has done it. Thinkin of entering next year and was wondering if anyone had anythin to say about it. Would be cool to be able to say you've swam from Europe to Asia!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What is also cool is Lord Byron (yes he of poetry fame) was supposed to be the first known person to swim the Hellespont and turned around afterwards and gave some fancy quote about how it was the greatest thing he ever did, poetry and political acheivements included. How far is the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Hi Topper, the race crossing is in an eliptical direction to compensate for the currents so it´s about 4km. not exactly a warm up swim but achievable nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

4 km doesn't sound like much. What time of year is that at ? I'd love to give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Sounds like fun and quite short. I think I remember someone saying swim trek do it on one of their trips.

Another cool swim is Europe to Africa, starting from Gibraltar.
    http://www.acneg.com/
    It's about 20 km so about half a channel swim but I think you can time it really well to take advantage of the tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Hi Hippie

The Hellespont is on August 30th this year but I'd say it's booked up at this stage. As for the strait of Gibraltar i'll leave that one to you Hunnymonster. There seems to be a lot of different external factors according to the website that can cause you to come up short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Ah well. Headin to Oz on August 15th so thats out the window for a few years !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Stan&Bobby

hi Gileek,

there is actually a triathlon you can do as part of that race. The tri club i'm a part of in Meath is sending a team over as long as we can get the numbers. you need 6 to form a team and we have 4 so far and will be having trials for the other 2 places over the coming weeks.

Only experienced people should apply. Let me know if you are interested.

John D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Stan&Bobby, could you give us more detail?

Advertisement