Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Studs snapped off wheel while changing tyre

Options
  • 05-06-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I was changing the punctured tyre of my car today and because the feckin bolts were put on too tight, I ended up snapping 2 of the studs off the wheel.

Is it safe to drive on only 3 bolts?

Anyone know roughly how much this is gonna cost?

Anyone know why this happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I wouldnt drive on 3 bolts at all, I'd imagine you could do serious damage to the hub/suspension.

How do you mean snapped them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I was loosening the bolts on the wheel and it didn't seem like the bolts were getting looser.

Unfortunately, the bolt came right off along with a piece of the stud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I feel for the OP, I had the same thing happen to me after some grease monkey in tyre shop got over excited with the brace. Mine was a real pisser as it was the security bolt that got damaged trying to loosen it. Advance came to my rescue - they tried about half a dozen bits and bobs, eventually it came free. I now have NO secuity bolts as they ain't worth the hassle.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

swingking wrote: »

Is it safe to drive on only 3 bolts?

Anyone know roughly how much this is gonna cost?

Anyone know why this happens?

I was always taught to put a dab of grease on the bolts before putting them in or they would bind solid. Most garages, tyre fitters don't do this, and use an air gun which can put them it tighter than needs be.

I would drive with a bolt missing for a very short distance myself. But no further and slowly.

If stuck you should have soak them in some oil, 3 in one etc, that might help to free them up.

I assume someone will have to drill the bold out. No idea of cost.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    I wouldnt drive on 3 bolts at all, I'd imagine you could do serious damage to the hub/suspension.

How do you mean snapped them off?

I don't see why it would do serious damage. I'd say theres a fair safety margin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Happend me a while ago
    I drove it on 2 bolots to a mechanic only cost ne 60 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As long as the centre of the wheel is still sitting firmly on the hub you're ok. The bolts are only there to keep the wheel on. It's the hub that supports the weight of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

JHMEG wrote: »
    As long as the centre of the wheel is still sitting firmly on the hub you're ok. The bolts are only there to keep the wheel on. It's the hub that supports the weight of the car.
    Not necessarly, did you ever have an old shape Beetle or a type 2 van.

Hiace vans were also notorious for this, the broken piece could be hammered back through the hub. messy and time consuming, might be worth while ordering a few extra ones from the main dealer (Don't bother getting them from a scrap yard because they will already be stretched)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Similar thing happened to me except only 1 out of the 5 bolts broke. About 1/8 of an inch of broken bolt was sticking out of the hub, this was enough to tap with a small chisel which loosened it fairly easily. The brake caliper had to be lifted and brake disc removed beforehand though.

thanks for the replies

Yeah I know those power machines used to put bolts on are a bad idea.

It's already cost me 27 euro getting the spare parts from the manufacturers. :mad:

swingking wrote: »
    thanks for the replies

Yeah I know those power machines used to put bolts on are a bad idea.

It's already cost me 27 euro getting the spare parts from the manufacturers. :mad:
    It might be worth while to torque them yourself with the manufacturers specified settings next time you are going to a quick fit tire centre. Many of the guys working in these places are unqualified and will indiscriminately use a rattle gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,417 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you may just need new bolts, or a new hub depending on the car. what car is it?

toyota rav 4

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you may just need new bolts, or a new hub depending on the car. what car is it?
    Hardly a new hub. 99.9 % studs will come out of you use a good solid drift or a garage press.

I know on my car that if a wheel bearing goes, a new hub is required. studs aren't easy to get either. it could even work out cheaper once garage labour rates are considered. that's why I asked what the car is.

I know on my car that if a wheel bearing goes, a new hub is required. studs aren't easy to get either. it could even work out cheaper once garage labour rates are considered. that's why I asked what the car is.
    Depends, if the bearing seizes and the outer bearing ring spins inside the casing of the hub it will definitely need replacement. Sometimes you will get a mechanic who will bate a hub so hard trying to remove it he will distort or crack it, he will then tell you that it is worn and will need replacement to cover his fu**up.

Mitsubishi don't actually do bearings for my car without a hub attached. some 4X4's are like that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I know on my car that if a wheel bearing goes, a new hub is required.
    That's probably only at the back?

EDIT: just read your last post.

Advertisement