Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDTV / Freesat HD/ Freeview/ Irish DTT

Options
  • 05-06-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

I dont know where to post this .. it is a cross platform question.. Hopefully it'll be ok here.

I was looking at the freesat site , and saw that there are TV's with built in sat tuners for freeview. I was thinking of getting one of these, but from what i can tell they dont have DTT tuners.

Does anyone know when the UK will be adopting Mpeg4, and whether these fresat tv's will ever have a DVB-T tuner, or even a DVBT mpeg4 tuner at that.

Also.. would it be worth my while getting one of these freesat TV's.. they have built in DVB-S HD reciever as well.. :)
    It sems that it would seriosly cut down on the amount of remote controls going missing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I think you are getting a little confused here.
    Freeview is the name of the UK Terrestrial DTT service.
    Freesat is the name of a Satellite service that offers the satellite version of Freeview. This is only a month old and I would wait and see if it will last. I maybe a success and just as easily be a failure.

TV's have MPEG2 tuners for the Terrestrial DTT. I am not aware of TV's with built in Sat tuners. I know there were analogue ones about but I do not think there are digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

the freesat site has details of panasonic tv's with built in digital HD sat revievers

http://freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=products.Products&type_id=4

i got mixed up.. i had multiple windows open for differnt forums, and i thought i was posing on a UK forum.. hence the freview reference .. apologies..

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

There was nothing wrong with your opinion:

From The panasonic page:

All Panasonic Freesat models are supplied with HD & SD Digital Satellite, SD Digital Terrestrial and SD Analogue Terrestrial Tuners with easy user navigation between Freesat, Freeview and analogue terrestrial services.

Beside that the mpeg decoder is responsible for mpeg decoding not the tuner.
    The question is will the software be compatible with irish dtt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I think you are getting a little confused here.
    Freeview is the name of the UK Terrestrial DTT service.
    Freesat is the name of a Satellite service that offers the satellite version of Freeview. This is only a month old and I would wait and see if it will last. I maybe a success and just as easily be a failure.

TV's have MPEG2 tuners for the Terrestrial DTT. I am not aware of TV's with built in Sat tuners. I know there were analogue ones about but I do not think there are digital.

OP is correct Panasonic have released a version of their new PZ80 range (PZ81) with a built in freesat tuner. As can be seen in spec link below the tv range also has a DTT tuner (not sure if it is MPEG4 decoding but I would be surprised if its not as its a brand new range for Panasonic)

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/729692/index.html#anker_729694

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

freesat and irish dtt on one tv with no STB would be cool though.. (if it was to have mpg4 capabilities)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See other threads.

Built in tuners are a waste of money as the technology is changing too fast compared with Analogue days.

Separate Sat / DTT much better option at the minute due to high rate of change on DTT.

Get used to external boxes. Especially for Media Server, Video on Demand, IPTV and PVR functions on your Satellite / DTT boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Apologies! I was unaware of what Panasonic were introducing to the market.

I agree with Watty! Built in tuners and advancement in technology will not work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I presume that Panasonic will be unable to "officially" sell these Freesat IDTVs in ROI?

Zaphod wrote: »
    I presume that Panasonic will be unable to "officially" sell these Freesat IDTVs in ROI?

Yes, but Newry is only a short hop up the road from Dublin!

watty wrote: »
    See other threads.

Built in tuners are a waste of money as the technology is changing too fast compared with Analogue days.

Separate Sat / DTT much better option at the minute due to high rate of change on DTT.

Get used to external boxes. Especially for Media Server, Video on Demand, IPTV and PVR functions on your Satellite / DTT boxes.

Agreed Watty but I would think the built in freesat is a good thing as this standard wont change for quite some time and if the DTT tuner happens to work for Irish DTT in the short term then thats a bonus. I think the Pana Z81 TV could be a huge hit in Ireland.

• Advertisement

LCD TV w/ built-in freeview
    howdy doody all,
    i recently bought a philips 42" lcd from pixmania.ie.on the website it was advertised as having built-in freeview,but according to the users manual i need something called a CAM card which slots into the side of the TV. i cant see these CAM cards for sale anywhere and i dont even know if they work in ireland.does anyone know about them.thanks in advance.confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

LCD TV w/ built-in freeview
    howdy doody all,
    i recently bought a philips 42" lcd from pixmania.ie.on the website it was advertised as having built-in freeview,but according to the users manual i need something called a CAM card which slots into the side of the TV. i cant see these CAM cards for sale anywhere and i dont even know if they work in ireland.does anyone know about them.thanks in advance.confused.gif

A cam is a small electronic device about the size of a cigarette box.
    CAM stands for conditional access module.
    Usually these devices are used by satellite TV systems but Freeview (terrestrial aerial TV) uses a cam too.
    You stick it into your TV.
    It can "read" an encrypted viewing card.
    Stick the viewing card into the cam.

Freeview uses a cam for Setanta pack.
    Think you need a UK address for sub. Maybe things have changed.

There is also a cam for Top Up TV
    do a google
    You might not get a signal in Dundalk.

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&q=setanta%20cam&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

thats great,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

slegs wrote: »
    Agreed Watty but I would think the built in freesat is a good thing as this standard wont change for quite some time and if the DTT tuner happens to work for Irish DTT in the short term then thats a bonus. I think the Pana Z81 TV could be a huge hit in Ireland.

I wouldn't say that.

Advertisement