Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tombstoning

Options
  • 05-06-2008 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone knoe anygood sites around Ireland to go Tombstoning ideally around the North East. Though I heared something on the radio a while back about a outdoor adventure center running course in it.

In case anyone dosent know what tombstoning is. Heres a video of it all going wrong, and why its called tombstoning.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=caXYWpIIcYg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

That looks more like something for the extreme sports forum.

Whatever about diving off a cliff when you know exactly what you are doing, and have checked for hazards etc, just randomly jumping off something and hoping you don't hit rocks, and with no idea how to land, sounds really stupid to me. Even tragic - whether or not it works out ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

A few friends of mine do it. Although I'm not sure if it would be termed 'tombstoning'.
    They jump or dive from cliffs but only if they know the area very well and are familiar with the tides and rocks in the area.
    I know a huge amount of places but would be very reluctant to point anyone toward them.

Although Wikipedia had this to say.
    An activity whereby one sees how far they can let a 'stool' slip out and be able to suck it back in.

So maybe I'm getting it all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Erm, wikipedia has several entries for tombstoning.
    I think this one:
    A term used in the UK for an outdoor pursuit involving diving off a high fixed point such as sea harbour walls, bridges, rocks and cliff faces into water. It is highly risky if the water depth or the existence of submerged rocks or objects is unknown and can result in serious injury or death.

is the one relevant!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Roen wrote: »
    I know a huge amount of places but would be very reluctant to point anyone toward them.

OMG! Secret tombstoning spots?

Far from secret, it's Ireland for god's sake, however I don't want to point out a place and then have someone breaking their neck there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ah.. I'm just joking... did you follow any of the recent troubles on boards about the naming of secret surfing spots?

Ah sorry Monkeyfudge, no I had no idea about the surf stuff, I was wondering why there was a load of people with Google Maps surf spots in their sigs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Oh christ don't start that in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorset/content/articles/2007/08/13/tombstoning_feature.shtml
    Tombstoning - jumping off cliffs, piers, harbour walls or other high points into water - causes about 200 serious injuries a year. It claims about 15 lives annually.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/7400367.stm

Why the **** would anyone want to do this? How small is your dick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Got to say this is a really bad idea. I saw a guy airlifted off a beach after paralyse himself (it was on the news the next day) a few years ago and would recommend avoiding jumping off cliffs into water of an unknown depth.

There are plenty of nutty enough sports to do without being suicidal about the whole thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement