Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Requirement???

Options
  • 05-06-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

If the course you apply for has an entry requirement and you don't get the grade needed, but all the places in the course aren't filled, would you still get the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

dunno the answer but im curious about that myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

im interested in this too!! but lets just try get enough points now so we dont have to worry bout his in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Exceptions ARE made. My course required a C3 in higher maths, LOADS of the guys in it had ordinary maths. If the course isn't that popular, you'll probably get an offer

The CAO is an automated yoke - if you don't get the requirements you won't get in.

Exceptions can be made by the college but that's a whole other issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It depends on the college. My friend last year needed higher level c3 in maths for engineering in maynooth, he got a d1 but they have their own exams for you to do sometime in August is you still get enough points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

The entry points go down if the places aren't filled, they don't look at people who didn't get the special requirements at all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,940 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RedXIV wrote: »
    Exceptions ARE made. My course required a C3 in higher maths, LOADS of the guys in it had ordinary maths. If the course isn't that popular, you'll probably get an offer

Red iirc our course didnt have an exclusive C3 H requirement it was B2O/C3H Math. But then maybe they changed that by the time your lot went through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

iFight wrote: »
    The entry points go down if the places aren't filled, they don't look at people who didn't get the special requirements at all

Its not about lowering the points because this course is only a few years old and doesn't get the maximum amount of applicants so there is spare places anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

DylanJames wrote: »
    Its not about lowering the points because this course is only a few years old and doesn't get the maximum amount of applicants so there is spare places anyway.

Nope.

The entry points are set after they get the results of the applicants. The points are not set now - all you hear now are projected points or previous points.

Example: if the only applicants to a course get 100 points, then the course entry points goes down to 100. The entry points are the amount of points that the lowest scorer who go accepted received.

I know i probably said points too much there, but hopefully you'll understand what i am saying.

Best of luck anyway with your results/exams

• Advertisement
Advertisement