Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths HL proofs

Options
  • 05-06-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Any tips or ideas on which proofs might show up tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't think I've seen the quotient rule proof before. We're supposed to know that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I think so. Theres just so many x and h flying around that I always get lost in it!

eoin2nc wrote: »
    I think so. Theres just so many x and h flying around that I always get lost in it!

Yeah. I think if it comes up I'll just prove the product rule and derive the quotient rule from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Learn 'em all

Yeah. I think if it comes up I'll just prove the product rule and derive the quotient rule from that.

How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Not many for tommorrow, is there? Factor theorem, De moivres, and the differentiation ones (sum/diff, prod/quotient and the induction one) Is that it?

turgon wrote: »
    How does that work?

y = u/v so u = vy and then you use the product rule to find du/dx and you fiddle around a bit. It's probably longer but I think it's less nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Fuascailt wrote: »
    Not many for tommorrow, is there? Factor theorem, De moivres, and the differentiation ones (sum/diff, prod/quotient and the induction one) Is that it?

Is that all? Ive been skipping tham all year because I hate them! Are any of them just going to come up in Q5 or can I expect them to be in any question?
    TBH there simple enough but it would take a while just to get them fully right

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Is that all? Ive been skipping tham all year because I hate them! Are any of them just going to come up in Q5 or can I expect them to be in any question?
    TBH there simple enough but it would take a while just to get them fully right

Q5 might ask you to prove one of the S&S formulae but it's just straightforward induction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I dont have questions 4 or 5! sorry :)

• Advertisement

y = u/v so u = vy and then you use the product rule to find du/dx and you fiddle around a bit. It's probably longer but I think it's less nasty.

Works a treat. Is that allowed in the exam, are you allowed assume the product rule?? Or would you have to prove that first?

turgon wrote: »
    Works a treat. Is that allowed in the exam, are you allowed assume the product rule?? Or would you have to prove that first?

You'd need to prove the product rule first.

It would probably take longer in the long run then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 NanoZoom555

would is not just be way simpler to do it out the normal way?
    our teacher thinks the proof by induction of de moivres theorem could come up in Q.3 as well.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Differentiation proof by induction came up 2 years ago so I reckon thats safe, other proofs are easy

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement