Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Charges - pretty long post

Options
  • 05-06-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Here is my problem:

3 years ago, we rented a house for a year. We meaning me and my gf + 1 more girl. During the year, this girl moved out and another one moved in, and she stayed there after we moved out. So basicaly 3 years ago we lived in this house with one more person for one year.

Now, our landlady contacted us and said that the bin charges were not paid for this period. We said that we left the money for all the outstanding bills to the girl who stayed there, but the landlady claims that the girl said that she gave her share to us, and we were supposed to pay it. To be honest, I don't really remember this particular bill, but we are sure that we settled any outstanding bills.

There is two weird things about it:

1 Why would she give us money if we were moving out? I mean, usually whoever stays in the house makes sure that he/she has money to cover bills - at least this is the way I've done in my 10 years of renting.

2 She didn't notify the landlady about the outstanding bill up until she was moving out (2 years later), and then she only said it to the girl who moved in on her place, and who in turn notified the landlady.

Since we can't prove we paid the bill, and we don't really like being chased for money, we are willing to pay our share of it. Landlady wasn't too happy about it, because the other girl refused to pay anything, and since we tried to find a compromise, now we feel she is chancing her arm and pushing us, because she knows she won't get anything from the other one.

I also rang the council, and they said that we can pay our share, and they will put a note on their system, but didn't want to assure me that we won't be chased anymore.

So basically i'm afraid now, that if we will pay our share they will try to get the rest from the other girl, she won't pay and they will come back to us since we are suckers who already coughed up.

What's the best course of action here - i want to pay our share, and I want a guarantee that that will be the end of it.

Do you know if there is any place I can get legal advice regarding this, short of a solicitor? I was looking at the threshold site, but it seems to be catering to people with low incomes, homeless, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Did you get your deposit back? To me, that would signify that your landlord was happy with the end of the lease.

Who's name was the lease in? Were there multiple names on the lease?

Does your lease specifically say anything about management fees/bin charges/etc.?

Is your landlord registered with the PRTB and did you claim rent relief?

Don't make any verbal agreements over the phone with (what sounds to me) a very narky landlord. Tell him/her you'll look in to it and get back to them in 2 days' time once you've investigated matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Cantab. wrote: »
    Did you get your deposit back? To me, that would signify that your landlord was happy with the end of the lease.
    I did. She also gave us references for the next house.
    Who's name was the lease in? Were there multiple names on the lease?

All the names were on the lease.
    Does your lease specifically say anything about management fees/bin charges/etc.?
    Not sure - she is sending me the contract
    Is your landlord registered with the PRTB and did you claim rent relief?

Not sure about PRTB, never claimed rent relief
    Don't make any verbal agreements over the phone with (what sounds to me) a very narky landlord. Tell him/her you'll look in to it and get back to them in 2 days' time once you've investigated matters.

That's what I'm trying to do. All I want really is the assurance that once we pay or share, we wont be chased for more. SO first I want to know whether council will be chasing me, so I'll deal with them, or will council will chase landlady, so I should sort something out wit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

ojewriej wrote: »

If your tenancy was registered you would have received a letter from PRTB. If they were not registered tell landlord to pay fees irrespective of what it says on lease. Either way claim rent relief. It is worth more than you will pay out on bin charges and you are entitled to it whether tennancy was registered or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

ojewriej wrote: »
    All the names were on the lease.
    Bin charges divided by 4. Communicate that loud and clear to your landlord.
    Not sure - she is sending me the contract
    Why you don't have a copy of your own contract is unclear?!
    Fill in a few forms so and look forward to a nice cheque.
    That's what I'm trying to do. All I want really is the assurance that once we pay or share, we wont be chased for more. SO first I want to know whether council will be chasing me, so I'll deal with them, or will council will chase landlady, so I should sort something out wit her.
    You've nothing to be afraid of if you've paid your quarter of the bin charges.

Bin charges divided by 4. Communicate that loud and clear to your landlord.

She is having none of it.
    Why you don't have a copy of your own contract is unclear?! .

I lived there 3 years ago, everything seemed fine, moved 3 times since. Didn't think I will need it again. Lesson learned for the future.
    Fill in a few forms so and look forward to a nice cheque..

Hm, is there no time limnit for it?
    You've nothing to be afraid of if you've paid your quarter of the bin charges.

That's what I think, but want to make 100% sure.

Thing is, normally I would be tougher with her, but I'm going for a job which involves very extensive background check, I'm a bit worried that she might mess it up for me. She also threatens to ring the referees we gave her when we were moving in - i'd like to avoid that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If your landlord is hardballing you, just tell them that you have applied for rent relief for the last 4 years, ad when the cheque comes in you'll pay a quarter. If she's kosher with revenue, you have cash and you can then negotiate.
    any bin charge you pay is also tax deductible, 20% back.

If the landlord is not fully compliant, this approach may slow her down, and you will get a few hundred from the taxman, which is nice.

As Cantab said, If she repaid your deposit, that is evidence of her being satisfied with the lease being over and finished.

I'm not really sure what I'll do yet, might actually get some legal advice.

As I said, I don't mind paying my share, I just want to make sure I won't be chased for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

If your landlord is hardballing you, just tell them that you have applied for rent relief for the last 4 years, ad when the cheque comes in you'll pay a quarter. If she's kosher with revenue, you have cash and you can then negotiate.
    any bin charge you pay is also tax deductible, 20% back.

If the landlord is not fully compliant, this approach may slow her down, and you will get a few hundred from the taxman, which is nice.

As Cantab said, If she repaid your deposit, that is evidence of her being satisfied with the lease being over and finished.

I second this. Very good advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bin charges are tax deductable at the marginal rate to a maximum of EUR250 in charges in any one year. I.e. its 20% of EUR250 per annum which works out at EUR50 back to you. The upper limit is there to maintain the polluter pays principle- otherwise you'd have the Revenue Commissioners part-funding polluting habits of indeterminate scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

smccarrick wrote: »
    Bin charges are tax deductable at the marginal rate to a maximum of EUR250 in charges in any one year. I.e. its 20% of EUR250 per annum which works out at EUR50 back to you. The upper limit is there to maintain the polluter pays principle- otherwise you'd have the Revenue Commissioners part-funding polluting habits of indeterminate scale.

I think the money back from taman was for rent relief not bin charges

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

beeno67 wrote: »
    I think the money back from taman was for rent relief not bin charges

me bad.......

Advertisement