Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Tournaments in Fitz / CHL / Emp / Jackpot This Summer - Advice Sought

Options
  • 05-06-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I have decided to take the summer off work and have a new job lined up for September. Luckily for me, that means I have the time and money now to play a good bit of poker during the summer.

I am not a new player but would not consider myself to be above average either. My best results have been second in the Emporium on a Sunday night, a good few cashes in the Fitz and some online PPP success.

I want to play 3/4 nights a week. I prefer freezeouts (double chance/scalp no problem) to rebuy tournaments.

So out of a choice between the below tournaments - does anyone have an opinion on which are the (i) easiest / hardest to cash in (ii) most runners (iii) best payout structures (iv) best blind structures (v) is there any point in looking at the different regs (i.e Emporium > Fitz (vi) etc.etc

Thanks for your advice - Nice one

Fitzwilliam

(i) Monday night - 75 + 5 - Freezeout
    (ii) Tuesday night - 50 + 5 - Doublechance Freezeout
    (iii) Saturday night- 120+ 5 - Freezeout

--- I think the Thursday night freezeout has been changed , right ?? ---

Emporium

(i) Monday night - 100 + 10 - Freezeout
    (ii)Thursday night - 50 + 5 - Double Chance Freezeout
    (iii)Saturday night - 60 + 5 + 10 - Double Chance Scalp
    (iv)Sunday night - 50 + 5 - Freezeout

CHL's

(i) Monday night - 25 + 5 - Double Chance Freezeout
    (ii) Tuesday night - 70 + 5 - Double Chance Freezeout + Scalp
    (iii) Thursday night - 50 + 5 - Freezeout
    (iv) Thursday night - 50 + 5 - Double Chance Freezeout
    (v) Friday night - 100 + 5 - Freezeout
    (vi) Saturday night - 50 + 5 - Freezeout
    (vii) Sunday night - 25 + 5 - Freezeout

Jackpot

(i) Tuesday night - 50 + 5 - Deepstack
    (ii) Wed night - 40 + 5 - Freezeout
    (iii) Thursday night - 20 + 3 - Freezeout
    (iv) Saturday night - 50 + 2 - Freezeout (Mythical ? - what's the craic with this ??)
    (v) Sunday night - 15 + 1 - Freezeout (Any use ??)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Emporium Schedule has changed again from the above. I will probably get round to updating it soon, but there is a thread a couple of weeks back about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Are you inviting comments on your plan as a whole or just recommendations on what tournies to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

with a 1k bankroll, you really shouldnt be playing anything above 50euro f/o. If you just want a bita craic, work away, but otherwise, stick to the lower games and move up if you do get a few scores.

realistically you could play 20 50euro f/o's and not cash - so good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Both would be appreciated . . .

semibluff wrote: »
    with a 1k bankroll, you really shouldnt be playing anything above 50euro f/o. If you just want a bita craic, work away, but otherwise, stick to the lower games and move up if you do get a few scores.

realistically you could play 20 50euro f/o's and not cash - so good luck with it

The €1000 bankroll is strictly for live tournaments

There is a seperate bankroll for cash games and for PPP.com

Agreed - the lower games are what I would prefer 15/25/50 f/o's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭pierce hard

pocketdooz wrote: »
    Both would be appreciated . . .

€1000 is not really enough to be playing with. As was mentioned above, it is possible to go >20 €50 tournies without cashing, due to the high variance nature of these games (mainly due to the small starting stacks and low short blind levels.) Look around for better value smaller buyin tourneys.

Just hope to run good. . .

Well in my experience since you asked......

Unless you are an excellent tournie player your EV from working in McDonalds for one week will be higher (over the entire summer and not just on an hourly basis) would be higher then playing €100 tournies around town playing 3 times a week after expenses, reg fees and tips are taken into account.

Playing with a bankroll of 1k and playing buyins above €50 is a good way to go busto even allowing for any edge you may think you have.

I advise you to play much lower stakes on the Internet. Improve your game and work on stts to improve your final table performance in MTTs. Only play live tournies to break up the monotony.

AS for specific advice on tournies I previously would have been in a good position to give well informed advice but these days I can only advise in general that you should play on days when working stiffs are tired and in good structured games where you can take advantage of the fact that you can hit the games well rested and take your time during the game rather than being rushed and make mistake due to tiredness. That in itself will give you a decent edge live.

Btw most of the profit to be made in tournies is from winning the odd one. I only pay for my buyins with other in the money finishes. Think about that.

ollyk1 wrote: »

Unless you are an excellent tournie player your EV from working in McDonalds for one week will be higher (over the entire summer and not just on an hourly basis) would be higher then playing €100 tournies around town playing 3 times a week after expenses, reg fees and tips are taken into account.

Playing with a bankroll of 1k and playing buyins above €50 is a good way to go busto even allowing for any edge you may think you have.

I advise you to play much lower stakes on the Internet. Improve your game and work on stts to improve your final table performance in MTTs. Only play live tournies to break up the monotony.

AS for specific advice on tournies I previously would have been in a good position to give well informed advice but these days I can only advise in general that you should play on days when working stiffs are tired and in good structured games where you can take advantage of the fact that you can hit the games well rested and take your time during the game rather than being rushed and make mistake due to tiredness. That in itself will give you a decent edge live.

Btw most of the profit to be made in tournies is from winning the odd one. I only pay for my buyins with other in the money finishes. Think about that.

Good advice thanks.

I will be playing STT's online too but will break up the monotony some live tournaments in town. I will be sticking to playing the lower entry tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

What him up there said.

1k is nowhere near enough. I haven't cashed out of a live tourney in months, and i'd consider myself a pretty competant player. You'd be much better off throwing the 1k online and playing .25/.50 cash

I have seperate money I am going to use for cash games and PPP.com

The point of the thread really is not to debate bankroll mgt. but . . .

to see if anyone who plays alot of tourneys in town has any answers to the question posed in the OP about the tournaments listed.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭coillcam

Don't play any live tournies at all if your considering playing €1000 as your roll. Withdraw from PPP, add on the €1k and go to a site with a good bonus/rakeback deal and you will do more for your game.

If I was in your shoes and really only want to play tourneys, I'd stick the €1k on stars and play the $3/$5 rebuys and $10 guarantees about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time play $15-$20 guarantees. Once you get your roll over $2000 play more of the $20/$15 again. Slowly increasing as you go along. Obviously any signifigant score will let you get further much quicker. As a rule of thumb to my amazement not so long ago, the minimum recommended budget is 100X the standard buy-in = your MTT roll was what I was told by a lot of better tourney players here.

Or just play SnG's. Moral of the story, it's your money do what you like, you don't have to heed to anyones suggestions here. I'd be very surprised if you show any signifigant profit at the end of the summer. It's much more likely you'll be busto as the risk of ruin playing off a 20-25 Buyin MTT roll is quite high. Roughly cashing 1 in 6 means that you will cash approximately 4 times in 25 tourneys for example. Therefore from those 4 cashes you really need a seriously deep finish at least twice to cover all your buy-ins, never mind show profit.

If you compare to online, you will increase your winrate by being able to play several times the number of hands across multible tables. As a result you will also be able to play anytime that is convenient for you. Also you will improve your own ability several fold because of the vast number of hands you can play. There are more games to select from also. You can play satelites for bigger events and so forth.

I personally will only play the odd live tourney for the craic or just a change of scenery. There is little to no value in playing live tourneys unless you are sufficiently rolled and have the ability to crush €200 plus buy-in events. Otherwise you are going to be wasting your time as 3/4 hours spent online is a much better proposition in terms of dollars and lifestyle.

You are far more likely to turn your €1k into €3k over the summer online with decent bankroll management than live. Pus think of all the potential bonuses/rakeback to add on. The sheer number of hands played and experience gained. You will be a much better player for it and also have less nights spent up until ridiculous hours for a paltry couple of hundred quid.

I have seperate money I am going to use for cash games and PPP.com

The point of the thread really is not to debate bankroll mgt. but . . .

to see if anyone who plays alot of tourneys in town has any answers to the question posed in the OP about the tournaments listed.

Thanks

I did ask you if you wanted views on the wider issues or not. :( You've gotten some very useful and thoughtful responses that I wish I'd gotten 5 years ago and instead of heeding it you are asking people to not discuss it. :confused:

I hate when people go and edit their original post leaving people who responded with egg on their faces. By all means add to your thread or clarify parts that need clarifying but let other readers who come along know that it has been edited and where it has been edited as you risk making people who took time to give you a considered response look silly.

As for tournie recommendations the standard in general is bad so IF you are a winning player you should be able to beat all the games you've proposed and if you aren't then you really shouldn't play too much and just play to improve and as a social outlet.

Also since your bankroll proposal in relation to this aspect of your plan has gotten so much stick you might want to reconsider if you have adequately prepared in respect of other areas of your plan.

Good luck over the summer and I hope we meet at the tables at some stage.

What him up there said.

1k is nowhere near enough. I haven't cashed out of a live tourney in months, and i'd consider myself a pretty competant player. You'd be much better off throwing the 1k online and playing .25/.50 cash

Well Ed nobody wanted to tap the tank BUT.....

striped_bass_small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Well Ed nobody wanted to tap the tank BUT.....

striped_bass_small.jpg

I wish i had some sort of comeback for that......

I did ask you if you wanted views on the wider issues or not. :( You've gotten some very useful and thoughtful responses that I wish I'd gotten 5 years ago and instead of heeding it you are asking people to not discuss it. :confused:

I hate when people go and edit their original post leaving people who responded with egg on their faces. By all means add to your thread or clarify parts that need clarifying but let other readers who come along know that it has been edited and where it has been edited as you risk making people who took time to give you a considered response look silly.

As for tournie recommendations the standard in general is bad so IF you are a winning player you should be able to beat all the games you've proposed and if you aren't then you really shouldn't play too much and just play to improve and as a social outlet.

Also since your bankroll proposal in relation to this aspect of your plan has gotten so much stick you might want to reconsider if you have adequately prepared in respect of other areas of your plan.

Good luck over the summer and I hope we meet at the tables at some stage.

Fair enough - apologies for that.

Thanks for the advice anyway

OP - was about using €1000 bankroll to play tournaments in town, responses were much appreciated.

I edited because I wanted to get feedback about the tournaments available - sorry about bolded piece above

coillcam wrote: »
    Don't play any live tournies at all if your considering playing €1000 as your roll. Withdraw from PPP, add on the €1k and go to a site with a good bonus/rakeback deal and you will do more for your game.

If I was in your shoes and really only want to play tourneys, I'd stick the €1k on stars and play the $3/$5 rebuys and $10 guarantees about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time play $15-$20 guarantees. Once you get your roll over $2000 play more of the $20/$15 again. Slowly increasing as you go along. Obviously any signifigant score will let you get further much quicker. As a rule of thumb to my amazement not so long ago, the minimum recommended budget is 100X the standard buy-in = your MTT roll was what I was told by a lot of better tourney players here.

Or just play SnG's. Moral of the story, it's your money do what you like, you don't have to heed to anyones suggestions here. I'd be very surprised if you show any signifigant profit at the end of the summer. It's much more likely you'll be busto as the risk of ruin playing off a 20-25 Buyin MTT roll is quite high. Roughly cashing 1 in 6 means that you will cash approximately 4 times in 25 tourneys for example. Therefore from those 4 cashes you really need a seriously deep finish at least twice to cover all your buy-ins, never mind show profit.

If you compare to online, you will increase your winrate by being able to play several times the number of hands across multible tables. As a result you will also be able to play anytime that is convenient for you. Also you will improve your own ability several fold because of the vast number of hands you can play. There are more games to select from also. You can play satelites for bigger events and so forth.

I personally will only play the odd live tourney for the craic or just a change of scenery. There is little to no value in playing live tourneys unless you are sufficiently rolled and have the ability to crush €200 plus buy-in events. Otherwise you are going to be wasting your time as 3/4 hours spent online is a much better proposition in terms of dollars and lifestyle.

You are far more likely to turn your €1k into €3k over the summer online with decent bankroll management than live. Pus think of all the potential bonuses/rakeback to add on. The sheer number of hands played and experience gained. You will be a much better player for it and also have less nights spent up until ridiculous hours for a paltry couple of hundred quid.

All great advice thanks

Looks like I should sit down and re-consider everything so !!

coillcam wrote: »

Pokerstars be a good start ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

FullTilt would be better than Pokerstars for bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

If you gonna play stts play on ipoekr with a points for cash scheme all sites have a 600 dollar sign up as well.On i poker 4out of 6 players on average have a negative roi up tp 100 dollar levels in my experience from using sharkscope hud.
    Pokerstars has best structured mtts but tougher fields than ipoker and no cash back you get frequent player points not as good as cash back.
    Ianmac may be trhe man to ask via a pm he does alot of referring to sites and he needs the money so give him a shout with what deals he has good luck.

and rakeback ?

No bother using Laser / Bank account on FT ? (have no credit card - rather not get one)

• Advertisement

Anyone have any thoughts on the original post re: tournaments ?

Numbers
    Standard
    Structure
    Payouts

etc.etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

and rakeback ?

No bother using Laser / Bank account on FT ? (have no credit card - rather not get one)

GJP has a great sign up bonus and allows you to deposit and withdraw off a laser card free of charge both ways. Probably your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

i think you need to re consider what your trying to do. its very like you'll be bust after two weeks no matter how good a player you are. 1k is nothing for the variance if these tourneys. the lower level ones ie the ones 50 and below are poorly structured and really only a win in them is significant profit.

however if you insist on playing them with that roll, they are all generally similar structure. just where you prefer really. the tuesday 55dc fitz game was where i learned my tournament game before i built my broll and would recomend this. but its worth noting i was paying for my poker education and i viewed it that way. dont think you could sustain a profit on it.

i started a thread there recently bout whether live tournaments a +even, its worth reading given what your proposing.

i think you need to re consider what your trying to do. its very like you'll be bust after two weeks no matter how good a player you are. 1k is nothing for the variance if these tourneys. the lower level ones ie the ones 50 and below are poorly structured and really only a win in them is significant profit.

however if you insist on playing them with that roll, they are all generally similar structure. just where you prefer really. the tuesday 55dc fitz game was where i learned my tournament game before i built my broll and would recomend this. but its worth noting i was paying for my poker education and i viewed it that way. dont think you could sustain a profit on it.

i started a thread there recently bout whether live tournaments a +even, its worth reading given what your proposing.

That's great mate - thanks very much. I realise I won't be making off this but it's basically my summer off and I'm lucky enough to have money from my old job and a new one lined up in September so I have the 1000 to play tournaments with (also have more to play cash and play online).

Was thinking of Monday in CHL, Thursday night in Jackpot and will look at the Tuesday DC in the Fitz. This is a total cost of €100 per week so will last til August even if I don't cash in any of the 30 tournaments which hopefully is unlikely !!

Will check out your thread. Nice one

Advertisement