Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should i keep my Irish license or exchange for a Dutch one ?

Options
  • 05-06-2008 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

So i have a bit of a Dilemma at the moment.

I currently have a full Irish driving license. I'm now living in Holland and wondering should i exchange it. I know theres no requirment too as its an EU License anyway. Theres a couple of reasons why i'm considering it:

1. The Dutch one is a plastic card rather than a big honkey sheet of paper.

2. I got my license after they took away the M category as standard (so i can drive a car or tractor, but not a moped. Swapping over i think would give me moped too.

3. Hassle with the Cops, its fine when your in Holland, cause they can understand you living there and driving around, but if you go to France or Germany its extra hassle with the cops.

4. The Dutch don't have penalty points ... so no reason there either.

Can anyone else think of any reasons why i should keep my Irish license rather exchange for a dutch one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

craichoe wrote: »
    So i have a bit of a Dilemma at the moment.

I currently have a full Irish driving license. I'm now living in Holland and wondering should i exchange it. I know theres no requirment too as its an EU License anyway. Theres a couple of reasons why i'm considering it:

1. The Dutch one is a plastic card rather than a big honkey sheet of paper.

2. I got my license after they took away the M category as standard (so i can drive a car or tractor, but not a moped. Swapping over i think would give me moped too.

3. Hassle with the Cops, its fine when your in Holland, cause they can understand you living there and driving around, but if you go to France or Germany its extra hassle with the cops.

4. The Dutch don't have penalty points ... so no reason there either.

Can anyone else think of any reasons why i should keep my Irish license rather exchange for a dutch one ?

On your Dutch license, when you come back home you can avail of the same immunity to the law that half of Krakow and the Uk are enjoying at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

Keep !!!!

You will be able to drive any non Irish registered vehicles in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ondafly wrote: »
    Keep !!!!

You will be able to drive any non Irish registered vehicles in Ireland

You mean .. swap .. or keep .. why could i drive any non Irish registered vehicle in Ireland ?

Apologies - rush reply ! Exchange for the Dutch licence. You will then be legally able to drive any foreign registered vehicle in Ireland, and thus avoid VRT. The only thing that prevents any Irish Motorist from driving a foreign registered vehicle in Ireland, is their pink Irish licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Apologies - rush reply ! Exchange for the Dutch licence. You will then be legally able to drive any foreign registered vehicle in Ireland, and thus avoid VRT. The only thing that prevents any Irish Motorist from driving a foreign registered vehicle in Ireland, is their pink Irish licence.

I thought that was your address, i.e. normal place of residence, not your license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pure unadulterated rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Swap it for now and then swap back when you return to Eire

Alun wrote: »
    Pure unadulterated rubbish.

Really ? How so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Really ? How so ?
    The country of issue of your driving licence has absolutely nothing to do with it at all, neither does your nationality, it's where you're officially resident (i.e. for more than 183 days per year) that matters. I'm English and have a Dutch driving licence, but I'm resident in, and paying tax in Ireland, so I abide by Irish law when it comes down to matter such as this. Having a non-Irish licence, or not being Irish have no bearing on it whatsoever.

Advertisement