Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Card Renewal

Options
  • 05-06-2008 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey guys....

I got my Green Card back in 2007 and its due to expire in 2009, the wife and I have moved back to Ireland for the time being though (this was not planned) and we don't really know when we'll go back to the States - we're making a go of it here first but I know at some stage, we will both return. (she's a US citizen btw)

Do any of you know if its possible at all to renew the green card when living outside of the US? or if there are any special circumstances for spouses? or will I just have to let it expire and go through the whole process again?

I am expecting to have to re-do the process, but just curious if there's any other way.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm fairly sure that, in order to maintain a green card, you have to physically reside in the US for at least 6 months a year. If you don't, you're at risk of losing it anyway. Others here will know more than me, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

You got your greencard in 2007 and it expires 2 years later? Either you mistyped 2007 or you have a temp permanent residency while the real one is in process. I went through the process starting in 1999 and mine doesn't expire until 2012 and mine was through my wife who is a US citizen. If you are in that temp status you shouldn't leave the country, I think they strongly advise you not to. If you do I don't think you will ever be issued the "real" greencard which is valid for 10 years and you go back to step 1 if you ever want to try again.

If you leave for 6 months or more on a greencard you will be hassled coming back in and possibly not even allowed back in on your greencard. Some years ago we came back to Ireland for a while. I think we were gone 5 months. Leaving back out of Shannon the immigration people questioned me a lot and told me I should have filed some papers before I left for that amount of time. It scared me a little to be honest as we had a house, cars etc all back in the states but the immigration people could have stopped me reentering the country.

I would highly advise you to discuss this with an INS agent at your local office. I have always found them to be pretty friendly and informative. There not going to throw you in a cell for asking for information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The two year greencard is conditional residence. I had the same one and applied for the 'removal of conditions' last year. I got my 10 year green card a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Yea, sorry it was conditional residence.

Ah well, cheers for the info, I will contact them at some stage but it looks like I will have to re-do the process again in the future. I've already left for more than 6 months and seeing as we have a place here now - probably won't be re-entering for a while.

I would still advise you to contact the INS even from Ireland. Let them know you have left the country and ask them if you need to file anything to make life easier in the future. Keep in mind that right now your wife may have a family emergency and need to go home and you could be stopped by immigration in Dublin or Shannon and not allowed to accompany her.

Also, you should have an SSN at this point if you have a conditional green card. Have you ever filed taxes in the US? Every US citizen and permanent resident must file taxes even if they are outside the country and have no income. If you screw that up, when you go back and file taxes again the IRS will be all over you for the missing years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Kernel32 wrote: »
    I would still advise you to contact the INS even from Ireland. Let them know you have left the country and ask them if you need to file anything to make life easier in the future. Keep in mind that right now your wife may have a family emergency and need to go home and you could be stopped by immigration in Dublin or Shannon and not allowed to accompany her.

Also, you should have an SSN at this point if you have a conditional green card. Have you ever filed taxes in the US? Every US citizen and permanent resident must file taxes even if they are outside the country and have no income. If you screw that up, when you go back and file taxes again the IRS will be all over you for the missing years.

We both filed our taxes for 2007, so we're okay on that one for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You missed out on the economic stimulus money! :eek:

Ruu wrote: »
    You missed out on the economic stimulus money! :eek:
    Shhh no need to tell him about that. Mine will be spent on a couple of 3G iPhones for the wife and me when they come out this month. I knew having a couple of kids would come in handy one of these days.

Advertisement